Chapter 51

The week has gone by quickly enough, but I haven't seen Denver. I guess the only class we have together is Selling Principles. On the other hand, Maroney has three other classes, including Economy and Literature. Like me, Maroney loves to read, which is why he claims to be a loner most of the time. He likes fishing, and he likes to read. That sounds good enough. After my last class on Friday, I grab my bag and head to Sophie's for my afternoon shift. My schedule has changed with the start of the school semester. Everything sounds quiet, with Scarlet working at the station.

"Sylvia wants to talk to you."

"Is she here?"

"Yes, she is the back."

I make my way to the back, where I find Sylvia doing the inventory. She turns around when she hears my steps.

"Cassidy." She says my name when she realizes I'm there. I notice by the tone of her voice that things aren't as good as they should be.

"Let's go to my voice."

"Okay," it is all I can say.

She sits on her chair, and I sit across from her. She doesn't speak at first like she is organizing the words on her brain.

"I hate to tell you this. You've been doing wonderful working here, and I never had the chance to say thank you for the incident in the summer, when you and Jeff saved that man from overdosing in the bathroom."

"Oh. It was a client who..."

Sylvia cuts me short, "But I have to tell you this. Did you leave earlier the other day and asked Jeff to take care of the rest of the shift?"

"Yes, I did." I was too tired and burned out and wanted to get some rest. I had worked double shift starting at six in the morning, and by the time the clock hit eight pm, I asked Jeff if he could close for me.

"Well, did you mop the floor before you left?"

I nod, "yes, I did. I mopped everything," I tell her, reminding them how I hadn't forgotten to do my job.

"Did you place the yellow sign that says wet floor after you mopped?"

I think for a while. I don't remember doing that. Maybe I forgot.

"I don't know. I usually do, but..."

Sylvia cuts me off short again. "Well, Jeff fell and broke his leg. He is sitting at home and claiming works comp. He threatened for a lawsuit."

"What?"

"There is something else. I know I never had problems with you regarding the cash... but the register was almost two hundred and fifty dollars short. You're responsible for the cash register that day. You counted the money in the morning, didn't you?"

I remember counting the money in the morning, dropping in the safer at three, and getting a new bag with two hundred to start the afternoon shift. Otherwise, would have been a lot of money in the cash register, and it wasn't safe. But I counted again before I left at eight, and I was ten cents over.

"I know you did the right thing about the morning bag. You grabbed a gab with two hundred to start the day, then you counted, matched everything, no short or over, and you dropped in the safer. That one is good. I'm talking about the second bag. You and Scarlet are the only ones who have the code for the safer. Jeff doesn't."

"I..I...don't know what happened, I swear. I counted before I left, and it was fine. I gave the cash register key to Jeff to finish the shift as he was supposed to anyway and drop the bag in the safer when he closed. I didn't think one hour would be a problem."

"See...Jeff is also responsible for the cash register in his shift, and we never had a problem with him. Scarlet only opens the safer and gives him the money bag to start the day. But this time, the money was under your responsibility. Two hundred and fifty dollars is a lot of money. Are you in some trouble? Difficulties in paying the rent?"

"What? No!" I say, and I start getting upset. I can believe she is making such a judgment.

"He is the one who got the money!"

Sylvia faces fall. "You can't go over accusing people like that, Cassidy. Jeff has been working here longer than you are. Someone also mentioned your head is all over the place lately, and you should have some time to take care of your personal stuff."

This time I feel anger boiling inside me. "Scarlet said what? Do you have any idea what it is like living above her apartment? Being her neighbor is already a nightmare! She bullies me, belittles me. She is always watching behind my back."

Sylvia is motionless, "Who said it was Scarlet who told me those things? She is the one who sticks up for you since the shit hit the fan. She is constantly complaining about Jeff, and she said you're the best employee I've ever hired."

"Did she really say those things about me?"

"Yes, she did, but I can't prove anything against Jeff or you. There was a report made to the police, and we are installing cameras from now on, so this won't happen again. But I think you should go home and get some rest. You need to step back for a while."

"But I need to work," I say, not because I need the money, but I need to be there.

Sylvia looks at me, "You have your school now to worry about it. It's a lot on your plate. You've been working seven days a week, and double shifts for months, Cassidy. Even Scarlet recognizes your hard work. I'm giving you two weeks off regardless you won't accept that or not. Take it or leave."

I'm about to leave for good, but there is a question inside my head, like a fly buzzing around my ear, refusing to take off.

"Who said those things about me? That my head is all over the place?"

"It doesn't matter who said that. I am not allowed to tell who said this or that. It is confidential."

I think about Jeff, and I think about Scarlet. Who would say something like that about me? That my life is a mess, and my head is all over the place? 

Next, I decide to take Sylvia's advice, so I go home to get the rest I deserve.