Chapter 36

Five years ago

We hear the rain falling on the roof of Jason's home, "Would you publish my story if I die one day?"

I look at him, "What story?" Jason is typing something on his computer, but he clicks the X bottom when I approach to read the piece. "What story?" I insist.

"The boy who in love with a girl who doesn't give a fuck about him, and then he packs his stuff to travel around the world as nothing else matters."

"You talking about Diane again, Jason?" I laugh. "Better you travel the world now. She doesn't even know you exist."

He analyzes me with his dark eyes, "Diane is only one part of the puzzle, Cassie. She keeps my mind busy and distracted enough, so I don't have to deal with the real problem."

"What problem, Jason? It would help if you focused on school. Adele doesn't know how to deal with your situation any longer. You keep getting into fights with Idiot Elliot, and for what? Leave the guy alone."

"He is a terrible person."

I press my lips together, "Tell me you're jealous of him because he is rich and you're not." I challenge him.

"I don't know what it is, but you're right, Cassie. I don't like the guy. He has everything so easy..."

"So what? It looks like Diane doesn't give a damn about him, either."

"He is not into Diane anyway, though. He might have been interested in her at some point in the past, but..."

"But what?"

"Never mind," He moves closer to his computer as I approach. "Get out. You have no right to check on my stuff."

"Just if you promise, you'll go to the doctor with Adele."

"Nope."

"Okay," I force him out of his chair and leans down to his computer in hopes I can read his document. He fights me for a while as our bodies come close, and I sense his heavy breath on my neck, and then he hugs me unexpectedly and starts to sob.

"What happened?" I attempt to wipe the tears in his face.

"I promise I will go."

I face him with a smile, "You're going to the doctor?"

"Yes, I will. I am doing this for you. Not anybody else, Cassie," he whispers. Jessa might be in a deep sleep because she doesn't move a single inch.

"No, you're doing this for yourself, Jason," I laugh.

"And since Diane doesn't love me back..." he approaches me again very slowly, his arms wrapping around me, "Maybe we can travel the world together?"

I let a laugh escape out of my lips, "Ah, how are we going to survive?"

"Working at the many gas stations across the country. Who cares about the money?"

"I think you are afraid to show the world how good and talented you are with your writing, including me."

"You think so?"

"I think so, Jason." I hug him, and he hugs me back.

"I'm afraid of what I will going to think if I showed you my writing."

"Why? I'm your best friend."

"Maybe this is the problem."

He grabs my hands and leads me to the top of his bunk bed. We go slow, so we don't have to wake up Jessa in her deep sleep. "Help me to fall asleep," he asks me.

Next, I do what he says and let myself cuddle with him. His body is warm against mine. And I feel when his legs open going on the top of mine. He wraps his arms around me, and as he allows my hair to curl around his fingers. I don't know how long we stay this way because I might have fallen asleep too fast, even before him. 

***

Please vote and comment if you like it :)