Chapter 25

Thranduil's POV

Desperation filled me; no matter where I looked I couldn't find her. Both Bard and I moved avidly through the streets but there wasn't a single soul. If Dale had looked dead before, now it looked like the definition of a graveyard. We kept running through the city aimlessly, orcs came at us from every side, Bard and I fought them off easily and I could only hope Caladhiel had the same luck.

Day was now turning into dusk and our surroundings became darker and darker by the second. Where could she be? I asked myself, and then a flash of red hair appeared before my eyes. Instead of waiting for Bard I started to run behind it, I could distinguish that head of hair anywhere, it was Tauriel it had to be and with her Legolas was surely to be found.

I was finally at a close enough distance and I grabbed her arm, when Tauriel turned around her eyes filled with a mix of shock and hatred. She jerked her hand away from my grasp and her expression became blank.

"Thranduil." She said in an almost whisper.

"Tauriel." I acknowledged back. "Where is my son?" I asked, this time more sternly.

"Father." A voice said from behind me.

I turned around and saw my son, it had only been a few days but his demeanor and his look was different. I could almost dare say he resented me. "Where were you? I gave strict orders for you to come back."

Legolas took in a deep breath and his eyes became fire. "You are not serious father! First you exile Caladhiel, then Tauriel and you expect me to come back as if nothing were wrong?" His voice came out as a scream and I drew back for the first time in my life.

"As you wish." I said in the coldest demeanor I could manage.

Legolas stared at me baffled, his blue eyes shone with rage. "I can't believe you." He spat out.

Before I could say anything else Gandalf appeared out of nowhere. "My lord are you leaving?" He was panting and he seemed deeply worried.

"There is nothing else for me to do here." I responded coolly.

Gandalf's eyes opened wide. "My lord the dwarves are in grave danger, Thorin and the rest headed up to Raven Hill."

"Why should I care what those dwarves do?" I asked and managed to smirk.

This time all of them stared at me in disbelief but Tauriel was the only one that knew what to say. "There is no love in you." Her voice was harsh and she managed to get an emotion out of me...rage. How dare she? I loved Caladhiel more than life and here she was accusing me of being insensitive.

"My lord please, they need your help." Gandlaf pleaded, pride is a horrible thing, and part of me thought that if I helped those dwarves Caladhiel might forgive me for what I said to her. But people couldn't think of me as weak.

"Love is weakness." Was all I said and then I turned around, walked away with my heart aching to find Caladhiel.

My feet moved at a speed unknown to me, my heart thumped with such ferocity it was almost painful, I felt my chest contract and my throat close up making it harder for me to breath. Anxiety was taking a hold of me and there was nothing I could do to stop it. Screams from the battlefield came my way, the streets of Dale became gloomier and gloomier and then my heart stopped at the sight before me. It was the market, completely raided, everything was lost and destroyed...it was depressing to see how a place that once had been so powerful had been turned to ashes and reduced to ruins. I scanned my surroundings when my eyes landed on a mass of blonde hair. My heart fell to the pit of my stomach, this couldn't be happening, this could be just another human but I had the feeling it was her. My Caladhiel was on the floor dead.