Chapter 11

I bid Thranduil goodbye that night, we both couldn't keep the smile off our faces. After our kiss I stayed in his arms for what seemed like an eternity, I wanted nothing more than to stay there and kiss his soft lips again, but reality is a terrible thing and I knew both of us had to get back to it.

As I descended the staircase and headed to my room I felt relaxed for the first time in a long while. I was grateful for the late hour because if anyone saw me I was afraid my eyes would give me away. I entered my room and undressed myself as I looked out the window to the mountains and the sky, everything seemed as calm as I felt and I couldn't wait to get some sleep; maybe that way I'd see Thranduil in my dreams.

*

I woke up the next morning to a knock on my door, it was still dark outside and the wine I'd drank last night was catching up to me. I rubbed my eyes and then looked around my dark room, it was early too early and I remembered that Legolas and Tauriel had gotten back from Rivendell last night. My stomach dropped at the thought of facing Legolas. How would he react if I told him about me and his father? I was only a few centuries older than Legolas but Thranduil was a lifetime older than the both of us. Legolas would hate me and seeing him every day would make it harder for me to keep mine and Thranduil's affair secret.

"Caladhiel are you there?" The knocking on my door persisted and it was no other than Legolas.

I took in a deep breath and stood up from my bed; the moment my feet made contact with the cold wooden floor I crawled back beneath the covers and tried to ignore the persistent knocking.

"Open up you have training to do." Legolas shouted. "Don't make me come inside." He threatened, knowing him he was capable of doing so, I decided to stand up and open the door. "Finally! Now get ready, a long morning awaits."

It broke my heart to see the exitement in his face, I just couldn't train with him every morning and risk me saying something about Thranduil and I or worse; saying something to Thranduil about my training, he certainly wouldn't approve.

"Legolas I'm sorry it's just that I can't keep training." I muttered half asleep, half awake.

"Why, what's wrong?" Legolas asked as he invited himself inside. I walked over to my bed and he sat down beside me. "Caladhiel, why the sudden change of heart? You are doing so well in training, I was even concidering asking my father to let you train officially so you can join Tauriel and I on the guard."

"No!" I screamed, I couldn't concieve the idea of Thranduil knowing I'd been secretly training myself, for some reason I thought he might hate the idea. Legolas stared at me bewildered. "I mean, don't tell your father anything, I just don't want to train anymore."

Legolas raised an eyebrow as if waiting for an explenation that never came. "Very well." He said, the look of disappointment in his eyes saddened me, all of the joy I felt from yesterday vanished. He was the first person to believe in me, but I'd let him down. When he shut the door behind him I tried to go back to sleep, but his disappointed eyes haunted me until sunrise.

*

The weeks passed and I avoided Legolas as much as I could. He had been a wonderful friend to me and I'd caused him great dissapointment. But the thing that made the days better was the fact that Thranduil spent a lot of time with me, we would sneak together like kids in the garden; I'd hide from him and he'd find me, wrap me in his arms and kiss me. With me he became a different person, he smiled more, he even laughed but at dinner time and the rest of the day he would be the same cold man I'd met the first day I'd arrived.

*

The months passed and Legolas no longer spoke to me. During dinner he wouldn't even glance my way. It broke my heart to know his dissapointment in me was that big. He also seemed to notice a change in his father, Thranduil may be cold in public but there was something about him that showed he was happy.