Chapter 24

Dale had been invaded. No matter where I ran to orcs would burst out of nowhere. I was exhausted from so much running and I needed to rest, I needed to sit down and close my eyes for a while, but I knew if I did I was as good as dead. My heart pounded hard and my breath was hitched, there was nothing I could do but keep on fighting.

The people from Dale streamed out of the buildings and into the streets; they were being chased by foul creatures and their screams and fear only made the orcs more excited. I spotted some of Bard's men fighting off some orcs but they were outnumbered, despair filled everyone's emotions and adrenaline rushed through our veins. I came out of my hidding spot and started to fight, I ignored the ache in my arm, the way my sword was moving slower and my hits became weaker. With the stregth I had left I made my wat to the Town Hall where I ran into a group of old women. I noticed the doors to the hall were open and I rushed inside.

"Sigrid! Tilda! Bain!" I screamed but no one answered.

My eyes scanned the room and I saw nothing but old women and children hurdling in fear. None of them seemed familiar, but it was clear they needed protection. I ran outside trying to look for Bard or a group of men but it was useless, they were all busy fighting off the orcs.

"Sigrid, Tilda, Bain!" I called again but my screams were drowned by those of the orcs.

I ran back downtown and looked everywhere; in the houses, behind the trees and in every ally but all I found were orcs. Just when I thought I was about to die someone came to my aid. It was Bard, he was a skilled fighter and I knew I would be unable to fight the orcs on my own.

"Thank you." I said as I swung my sword through and orc's throat.

Bard shot me a smile as he impaled his oponent. "Any time." It was amazing how he could smile and seem so casual in such a dangerous situation.

"Bard, I have to tell you something." I said once we'd killed the last orc in our way.

Bard looked at me quizically and smiled. "Yes?"

"Your children are missing." My expression was as blank as my voice was void.

Bard's face transfigured into worry and in a matter of seconds we were running towards the main square. "Are you sure? Maybe they're just hidding really well, they can't be missing they just can't." Bard shouted as he sprintted faster and faster.

I tried catchig up to him and tell him that I hadn't seen them, but I either ran or talked. I was running short of breath when I slammed into a man. He looked older than Bard and his face was covered in dirt.

"The market has been invaded!" The man shouted and his eyes were crazed.

"Men are already here to help." I said trying to calm the man down. Bard was already too far ahead of me to hear the conversation and I knew I couldn't cath up to him even if I tried.

"You don't understand." He said even more desperate than before.

"What is it?" I urged, something deep inside of me told me it had to do with Bard's children. "Where are the children? Where are Sigrid, Tilda and Bain?" My voice became high pitched and realisation dawned upon me.

The old man looked down at the ground and took a deep breath. "Last I saw them was in the market." He said nothing more and ran.

I stayed there unable to move. If the market had been raided they were probably dead. What I felt for those children was something I'd never known before and then the thought of Bard so heartbroken at his loss broke me even more. It was nornal for children to loose their father but never the other way around.

"Bard! I know where they are." My scream was loud but not loud enogh. Bard was still running towards Town Hall, I would have to look for them on my own.

                                                                                     *

Thranduil's POV

Filthy orcs filled my field of vision, Caladhiel was gone and I could no longer protect her. Anguish filled me, I wanted to be with her, I knew she was strong but a forboading feeling rested inside of me. I faught as many orcs as I could before mounting my Elk, I needed to get to Dale and I needed to do it fast. As I rode through the battle field I swung my swords back and forth and my men followed behind me. Around me there was nothing but death: men, elves, orcs and dwarves lay dead on the ground and I realised Caladhiel was right. This was a pointless war. I needed to find her so we could get back to Mirkwood and spare the lives of the few elves I had left.

When I approached Dale the sight of orcs within it made my heart drop. She was inside, she was unprotected and I didn't want to imagine the worst. I kicked my Elk and his pace became quicker. The entrance was upon me when suddenly a group of orcs killed my Elk. I fell to the ground and rage took hold of my actions. I swung my sowrds so fast even I didn't notice when the orcs died. I ran into the city but didn't see her. I saw women cowering in corners, men trying to fight off the orcs and dying.

I reached Town Hall and my eyes landed on Bard. He was giving orders to a few men and they hurried inside. Bard looked behind him and his expression became worried, he scanned his surroundings looking for someone but when he saw me his eyes became filled with disapointment.

"My lord!" He said as he came over to me.

"Caladhiel, where is she?" I asked in the most cold tone I could manage.

Bard gulped down hard. "She was behind me, but now she's gone." Was all he said.

I looked away as a few tears rolled down my cheeks. I couldn't afford to be seen as weak, I whipped them away and faced Bard once more. "Well, we have to find her don't we?" I tried smirking but I couldn't, the thought of Caladhiel being dead made my heart ache with pain.

                                                                                *

Caladhiel's POV

I heard screams coming from the market and I inmediately knew who they were from,Tilda. I picked up my pace and drew my sword out. Once I reached the market it was a sea of orcs and a few men standing. I looked around but didn't see anyone when suddenly a giant monster appeared before me. He was giving his back to me and when he lifted his giant mace Tilda screamed again.

"Tilda!" I exclaimed.

"Caladhiel we're here." Sigrid said.

I made my way around the monster and saw the three kids crouching underneath a table. The monster was beside them but he seemed too stupid to notice.

"Come here, I'll get you to safety." I whispered.

Tilda's eyes lit up and she was the first to run out towards me. I thought it would all be fine but she wasn't quiet enough. The monster heard her footsteps and this time he lifted up his mace to hit her. Tilda screamed and my first reaction was to jump between them. Pain shot through me knocking me to the ground, I was drifting in and out of conciousness and I heard echo's around me.

"Run!" I said to the children who were reluctant at first. "Get help now."

Before I could say anything else the sound of cutting flesh and the pain in my abdominal area became unbearable. Everything went black.