Chapter 3

The more we descended the warmer it got and the more I started to loose my patience. We'd already been riding for days only stoping for me to get some rest; I missed the snow, I missed the cold wind, I missed the beautiful sunrises and sunsets but most of all I missed my family. The mountain changed drastically from top to bottom; the lower we came down the more leafy the trees became, the more grass started to sprout from the ground and the more flowers of exotic colors I was able to see. Up in the mountain the trees were bare and there was always snow. I couldn't say that I didn't like what I was seeing because I did. Trees here were evergreen, despite it being winter their beautiful emerald leafs remained attached to them casting long shadows due to the sunlight, the beautiful blue river winded down the mountain and through the valley into an even bigger river that would soon end in an infinite sea. 

The landscape changed with every turn; we would see vilages filled with men, then we'd see dwarves camping out in the woods, we would even reach a point where the trees were starting to loose their leaves letting in a beautiful view of the night sky. It had been three days since I'd embarked on this journey with Galadriel and the beauty of Middle Earth didn't seize to amaze me. I was nervous reaching Rivendell, I'd heard my father speak of it many times and he said it was by far the most beautiful and peaceful place he'd ever seen. My father had been down to Middle Earth a few times in order to meet with the other Elven leaders and the one he spoke the most highly of was Elrond; the Lord of Rivendell and one of the wisest men my father had ever met. Just thinking about meeting him made me nervous and unsettled. What would he look like? Would he be as nice and caring as my father had been? I was also nervous to be part of a new clan. Northern Elves or Snow Elves such as myself were very different from the Forest Elves, we had different cultures, we spoke a different language, we ate different things and of course women had different positions in each culture. To the Forest Elves we were considered savage and unciviliced or at least that was what my father had told me. 

That night Galadriel told me stories about Elrond from which I learned he was very wise, powerful and skilled both in battle and diplomacy. She told me he'd been very fond of my father, when he'd heard word about the war up north he'd said to Galadriel he'd take me in. I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do in Rivendell but I had a pretty good idea on what I'd be learning and they'd surely try to find me a suitable husband. 

"How far are we from Rivendell?" I asked Galadriel as soon as she finished her tale. 

"Not far, we'll get there tomorrow by sundown." She took both of my hands into hers and looked into my eyes. "What is it that troubles you child?" I knew I couldn't hide my troubles from her, she was far too wise. 

"I'm affraid." I muttered. My gaze drifted to the ground and stayed there, far too ashamed to look up. Galadriel remained silent making my shame grow worse. "I know I shouldn't be, that I'll be safe there, but I'd rather face a pack of Orcs anytime than Forest Elves." I added even though it didn't make things any better. 

Galadriel took a deep breath and lifted up my chin in order for my eyes to meet hers. "I understand. You feel alone and lost and that's completely understandable, but you needn't worry, Elrond will take great care of you and from him you'll learn more than just protocol." I didn't know how she did it but with only a few words she managed to ease my nerves; at least a little.

"The Forest Elves don't like us, they say we're savages and that we are more human-like than elvish." My voice sounded unlikely panicked and I didn't like feeling afraid and shaky. 

"Don't be foolish. You said yourself that you've never been down from the High Northern Peaks." Galadriel couldn't keep the smile off of her face I didn't even have to look at her to know she was smirking. 

"I haven't." I muttered and rolled my eyes already knowing what she was going to say. 

"Then you can't possibly know what they say. I understand you're afraid Caladhiel but you can't live your life in fear of the unknown." In that moment I understood that Galadriel was even wiser than I thought and she was right, I couldn't judge the things I didn't know or understand. 

Eventually I drifted to sleep only to wake up with a pounding heart and sweating from every inch of my body. When my eyes opened I was aware of the cold sweat that trickled down my forehead, my hands were shaking violently and my breath came out unevenly. I closed my eyes shut once more hoping to wake up but it was evident that I was wide awake. I stood up slowly, walked over to the horses and saw Galadriel was about to mount hers. 

"I was going to wake you." She said with a little smile. 

"Oh, well I'm awake now." I replied dryly.

"Are you ready?" She asked. 

"As ready as I'll ever be." I responded while mounting my horse. 

The morning was an unbearably warm, the air was moist and I felt my skin on fire. I missed the cold weather, it was hard to adjust to the heat and even more if you were wearing animal fur under the dazzling sun. The sky was blue, not a single cloud in the sky and the woods surrounding us were shining emerald green. I couldn't deny the beauty of the landscape, the harsh and void mountains didn't compare with the forests, prairies and valleys full of life and light. 

We spent the whole morning getting through the woods. Neither of us spoke a word; I was far too nervous to speak and Galadriel was smart enough not to waste her time trying to make me feel better. The closer we got to Rivendell the more nauseous I became and the more my heart rate quickened. When midday was upon us we reached the edge of the woods which meant no more shade to keep us cool. As soon as we arrived to a valley Middle Earth opened before me. I could see the high snow peaks surrounding the deep, mysterious and green woods, I could see the sky as clear as I could see it from the mountains. The peacefull sights managed to distract me enough from the looming events of the eavning and my thoughts drifted from tragic to hopeful. 

Then as the sun started to set the Misty Mountains came into view. The sight was trully magnificent; living up in the mountains my whole life I'd never realized how intimidating and imposing they looked, we were nothing but minimal creatures next to the giants that protected the valley. But the spell and magnificence of the mountains was sudddenly broken by the realization that we were only a half hour away from Rivendell. My heartbeat picked up the pase, my head was spinning and I was aware of how fear started to take hold of me, my sanity was slipping away, I was venturing into the unknown and I wasn't sure I liked it. 

                                                                                        *

It was nighttime when we arrived at Rivendell, despite the lack of sunlight it was still the most magical place I'd ever set eyes on. The small Elven city was located at the border of a cliff, countless waterfalls flowed through and out of the city, the small buildings were made out of stone and wood and the amount of flowers and greenery was a delightful sight. The night sky was cloudless and the silverlight of stars gave the waterfalls an ethereal appearance, every single building was illuminated by a warm hearth and the town square led up to what I believed was the castle in which the infamous Elrond lived. 

Galadriel was well known, every step we took the other elves bowed their heads to show her respect but as soon as they lay eyes on me they'd look at each other and then back at me with either disgust or confusion. We dismounted our horses and a servant led us up the stairs all the way up to the castle. Elves here were different, their features were softer not tarnished by the harsh weather and cold winds, they wore dresses of fine silk and bright colors, their hair was neatly combed; they looked flawless. I felt out of place, like a savage that had been brought to civilisation for the first time. 

When we reached the main hall my eyes landed upon an elf like no other I'd seen on my way here; he was tall and lean, poised, he had long brown hair, a resting frown on his face yet he seemed at peace with everything around him. The moment he saw us approach his lips curved up into what I assumed was a smile that never reached his eyes. He greeted Galadriel like an old friend but when he saw me his smile dissapeared and his words were colder than the northern winds. 

"Caladhiel, I've been waiting for you."