Chapter 9

I woke up early the following morning, I stood from my bed and walked over to my wardrobe. It was hard to make sense of anything in such darkness, it was about two hours from sunrise and I needed to meet Legolas before everyone woke up. I managed to find the pair of pants I'd arrived to Rivendell with, a white loose fitting shirt and a pair of brown tall lace up boots. I felt nervous yet a thrill ran through my body. I was so excited to get back into training, doing something that felt more like me.

The morning was chilly, I opened my bedroom door as quietly as possible and then tip toed my way downstairs. As soon as I reached the outside of the palace I saw Legolas and another figure standing in the shadows. I walked over to them with sleepy eyes but a willing heart.

"Good morning Caladhiel." Legolas said once I was within ear shot.

"Good morning Legolas." I replied with a smile and then glanced over at the elf beside him.

"I want to introduce you to Tauriel, captian of the guard." Legolas gestured to the elf and I noticed her long red hair and piercing green eyes. She was one of the most beautiful elves I'd ever seen.

"It's a pleasure to meet you." I said and she came over to me and hugged me hello.

"The pleasure is mine, I've heard great things about you Caladhiel." Her smile was warm and trustworthy and I was glad to finally be making some friends.

I knitted my eyebrows and looked at her in the eyes. "Really? I've done nothing but cause problems since I came down from the mountains." I laughed and she giggled.

"Precisely...saying to Thranduil what you think about him to his face was a brave thing to do. I've always wanted to say those things to him myself, even Legolas agrees." Tauriel laughed and Legolas and I joined her. "Enough talking, I'll be training you in close combat and then Legolas will train your stealth and bow skills."

I nodded my head excitedly and so the lessons began.

*

Mornings for me continued that way for the next few months. I'd wake up early, sneak outside, train for an hour or two with Legolas and Tauriel, then sneak back in and wait for Anira to wake me up and get me ready for my music and protocol lessons. I became much more comfortable in Mirkwood as well, I was already making my way through the palace effortlessly and since Thranduil was absent for most of the dinners I could breath and be somewhat my normal self. But yet I found myself thinking about him more than I should, he crowded my every thought and I was curious to find out who was the person that hid behnid that icy mask of his. The times I did see him I found him staring at me, sending chills up my spine and making me sleeples as to why he'd been looking at me. I was attracted to him and even though I relaxed when he wasn't around I wanted him around to challenge me. If we ever exchanged words it was him mocking me but I always found a way to respond and as a reward he'd smirk at me and make my insides flip, twist and become a mess. I was crushing on the king and sneaking around training with his son and that was a recipe for disaster.

*

Training went on like it always did, I'd learned how to block enemy attacks with my sword and how to respond. Tauriel taught me that in swordfight I had to be ready for anything and to expect the unexpected. Every day that passed by I became better and Tauriel, Legolas and I became closer. But my secret attraction to the king remained secret. If Legolas ever found out he'd never look at me the same way, he'd stop training me and he would be disappointed in me. For me there was nothing worse than disappointing someone, so I remained quiet.