Chapter 14

We lead the dwarves into the palace; they looked angry and their leader looked like he was at his boiling point. The tension in the air was palpable, in fact you could cut through it with a knife. The other elves that had accompanied us lead the other dwarves down to the deepest part of Mirkwood; the dungeons. While Legolas and I took their leader up to the throne room, where Thranduil awaited.

I followed behind Legolas quietly, I couldn't recognize this man filled with anger and hatred, I couldn't help but wander where my Legolas was; the kind, good willed Legolas. Thranduil sat on his throne looking bored yet regal as ever. His blue eyes scanned the room and the moment they landed on the dwarf they became wide open and a malicious smirk crossed his face.

"You may leave." He said dryly, in a voice I knew all to well but hadn't heard in a long time.

"Yes my lord." Legolas and I said in unisone and bowed before our king.

Legolas exited the room ahead of me, I pretended to follow, but as soon as he was far enough I decided to linger. The throne room had no doors to conceal what went on, it had no walls either, it was the highest point in Mirkwood palace but the most public one as well. I walked up the stairs but remained far enough to be out of sight, but close enough to be within earshot.

"Some may imagine a noble quest is at hand." Thranduil's voice boomed through the halls, he seemed bored and amused at the same time, I could even imagine the irony on his face. He paused for a second and then continued. "A quest to reclaim a homeland and slay a dragon." His voice became softer and I was obliged to move further up the stairs.

They couldn't see me, but I could see them. The dwarf stood motionless and expressionless in the middle of the room as Thranduil circled him like a hawk circled his pray.

"I myself suspect a more prosaic motive." He continued as he looked at the dwarf with keen eyes. "Attempted burlglary...or something of that ilk." The words came out filled with disgust and my heart ached for the poor dwarf.

Thranduil leaned in towards the dwarf and stared keenly at him. The dwarf tried looking away, but Thranduil had too much of a presence to be able to do so. "You found a way in." Thranduil declared.

I remained motionless on the staircase as my mind was pulled in different directions. Who was this dwarf? Thranduil certainly had an interest and loathing for him all the same. I wanted to know what they were talking about, in that moment I knew this dwarf was up to something important and it was of Thranduil's interest as well.

The dwarf remained silent as Thranduil pulled away.

"You seek that wich would bestow upon you the right to rule, a king's jewl." He paused. "The Arkenstone." His voice sounded dramatic and his face lit up with realisation.

My heart stopped, I knew who that dwarf was, I'd heard about him 200 years back; the day when Erebor had been seized by Smaug. This was no ordinary dwarf...he was Throin Oakenshield son of Thrór and heir to the kingdom of Erebor. He was the King Under the Mountain. I knew then how important he was and why Thranduil was so interested in him. He had a feud with the dwarfs way before the attack on the mountain. I knew Thranduil was ambicious but I had no idea to what extent.

I was so lost in my thoughts that when I returned to reality I heard Thranduil confirm my suspicions. "There are gems in the mountain that I too desire...white gems of pure starlight." Thranduil's face seemed crazed, an expression I'd never seen on him before. He was giving into ambition; he who usually kept his cool so well was coming undone under the influence of greed.

Thorin simply looked at Thranduil puzzled. Then Thranduil did the unthincable, he regained his composture and bowed his head before the King Under the Mountain.