Chapter 23

The three of us looked at each other and each of us wore a different expression; Bard looked bewildered, Thranduil looked confused and I was worried. This wasn't suposed to escalate so badly, we were supposed to reach an agreement today and now here was Thorin's army. The thought of war gave me chills, I'd faught before but this was just on another level. I started to believe I wasn't going to live to see another day. As if he could sense my preocupation I felt a hand over mine. It was Thranduil, I wanted to jerk it away but his touch made me feel safe.

"We'll get through this." He said to me softly.

"I'm not sure." I replied and kept my eyes on the incoming dwaves.

Their leader was small and fat, he was riding a boar and I was affraid he was about to fall. He was dressed for battle and seemed heavier than any of the elves and men with me. He stopped before us and his eyes landed on Thranduil. He challenged him with his eyes and I knew Thranduil would be more than glad to accept.

I held my breath and looked over at Gandalf; but he seemed worried as well. Bilbo was at his side, they were both talking but they were too far away for me to make out the words. Then a voice broke me away from my thoughts.

"Good morning how are we all?" It was the commander, his voice was surprisingly amiable. "I've a wee proposition. If you wouldn't mind giving me a few moments of your time." This time he was close enough for me to study him; he wore a helment that was decorated in the shape of a boar, his beard was red and adorned by marble colored beads and his eyes were so blue they were almost white. "Would you concider...just backing off!" He barked.

All men drew back clearly intimidated but the elves held their ground.

"Stand fast." Bard ordered at the sight of his cowering army.

"Come now my lord" Gandalf said taking a step forward to face the enemy.

The dwarf opened his eyes wide at the sight of the very familiar face. "Gandalf the grey, tell this rubble to leave. Or I'll water the ground with their blood!" He said.

I looked over at Thranduil who looked offended, he stared back at me blankly so I tore my eyes off of him.

"There is no need for war between dwarves, elves and men! A legion of orcs march on the mountain stand your army down." I was surprised at the casual way this was being handled. It surprised me how Gandalf had enough power to calm the dwarf down.

"I will not stand down before any elf! Not least this faithless Woodland sprite." This time his words of hate were directed at Thranduil.

Thranduil opened his eyes wide and his mouth twisted into a grim smile.

"He wishes nothing but ill upon my people! If he chooses to stand between me and kin; I'll split his pretty head open seeing if he's still smirking down at us." The other dwarves cheered at their leader and to the annoyance of the dwarves Thranduil's smirk grew wider.

"He's clearly mad like his cousin!" The way Thranduil said that; so cold and contemptuosly silenced everyone. All except Thorin's cousin.

"You hear that lads? Run! Lets give these bastards a good hammering!" He directed his boar back to his lines. He lifted his hammer up in the air as a sign of victory.

In that instant both armies prepared for battle. Thranduil drew out his sword and I did the same. Part of me didn't want to go against my friend's kin, but I knew I'd follow Thranduil to death. But in between all the cheers and cries of battle, the earth began to tremble. All of us looked in direction of the mountains to our side. Thranduil's blue eyes grew wide, he clearly knew we were in big trouble. I gulped down hard, my hands were trembling and my mount was becoming uneasy.

Out of the ground a monstrous and gigantic version of a worm spoutted out. I couldn't suppress a scream, I was now terrified even more so than when I first confronted the orcs back home. I drew back my horse who was now almost out of control, in the blink of an eye Thranduil was by my side and his presence calmed me a little.

"No matter what happens don't leave my side. If you do I can't guarantee any protection." His voice was harsh and his eyes were glued to the giant worm.

"Yes." Was the only thing I managed to say.

Out of nowhere two giant worms followed the first. I rolled my eyes and sighted.

"Oh come on!" Thorin's cousin shouted. I laughed because he broke the tension a little, but it was evident we were doomed.

The worms retired leaving three holes on the ground from which rivers or orcs appeared. They were headed our way. My heart stopped and my blood ran cold, they were too many and even with our armies combined there was no way we could possibly win.

Thorin's cousin led his army right in front of ours; they positioned themselves like a wall as the orcs ran towards them. Moments later the unexpected happened, as the orcs came barreling towards the army of dwarves, the elves jumped into action and men as well. Old foes became allies against a comon enemy and it was clear the battle had started.

*

One orc came after the other, I was fast and they were slow. My horse galloped through the broken lines and I slashed my sword through any orc standing. It was fun actually; adrenaline coursed through my veins as I fought them off. In the distance Thranduil was doing the same, he moved swiftly and decapitated any orc that came close to him effortlessly. To him sword fight was like a dance; he skillfully used his two swords and managed to attack and defend himself. Seeing him fight was something rare, I admired him so much and my heart swelled at the thought of him getting hurt.

I'd been so distracted I didn't see an orc coming, he fired an arrow that landed in my horse's throat making him fall down to the ground and me with him. He was heavy and I was struggling to get his dead body off me. I pushed and pushed; desperation overcame me and tears started to flood my eyes. The orc was now a few feet away and I was trapped. I screamed but everyone was too busy fighting their own problems away. I was dead. Then Thranduil appeared out of nowhere, with a slight move of his blade the orc was dead. He dismounted his elk and pushed my dead horse off me. I was breathless when he helped me up and so scared I couldn't help myself and I hugged him.

"Caladhiel listen to me, you've been training for this moment a long time. I believe in you, so pull yourself together and help me kill this filth!" He let go of me just in time for him to kill an orc headed our way. "Now fight!"

I took hold of my sword as he mounted his elk. I faught like I never had before, my sword swung back and forth, I ducked, rolled on the ground, kicked, punched and blocked. I was exhausted; a battle was like compresing all of the training I'd recieved in a lifetime in one day. Thranduil helped me as well and I was thankful for him being there.

Then a horn blew and more orcs appeared but this time they were headed towards Dale.

"They're closing us off!" I heard Gandalf scream.

"Where's Thorin?" His cousin asked as he struggled to fight off a few orcs.

"Go back to Dale! We have to help our people, go back! Go back now!" I heard Bard shout at his men.

Everything around me was mayhem and we were being decimated every second that went by. No matter how many orcs we killed they would just keep coming. My hands ached, my cheek was bleading and my ribs throbbed. I didn't know how much more I was going to be able to handle.

I stared at Dale and saw the enormous amount of orcs, gobblins and other dispicable creatures headed towards them. I thought of Sigrid, Tilda and Bain. I needed to help them, they were defensless and we were outnumbered.

"Thranduil I'm sorry." I shouted.

He looked at me confused. "What? Why?"

Then without further explenation I followed Bard and his people towards Dale. We were all running and I knew I'd be in more danger there without Thranduil's protection but I needed to go.

"Caladhiel wait!" Thranduil shouted. "Caladhiel!"

But too many orcs were surrounding him and he couldn't chase after me.