Chapter 2

My head was aching, I felt an ongoing amount of pain course through my body but the moment I tried moving I was forced to open my eyes due to the feeling of death looming over me. I placed a hand on to my side and squeezed tight, I felt hot liquid oozing out of me and I didn't have to think twice to know it was blood and that I was dying. Tears started to run down my face once more and then when I remembered all of the events that had happened in the past 24 hours my heart started to ache as well. I felt no desire to keep on living; my kin had all been slaughtered and I was alone in the cold Northern mountains. I no longer bothered with moving, I just stayed on the ground letting myself bleed to death; I'd given up and I welcomed death gladly.

The sights around me started to get blurry; the grey sky, the white mountains and the winter forest behind me. I was loosing consciousness, I no longer felt the cold and unforgiving air around me and I no longer felt the pain. I started to drift away once again before I saw a white ethereal being coming my way. I didn't know why but for some reason the angelical presence kept me awake. I tried to sit up but as soon as I moved pain ripped through me and I let out a strained cry.

"Help me please." I begged as the being came closer and started taking shape before me. It was an elf just like me but she was tall, had curly blond hair and a serene expression despite what she must've seen on her way here.

"Don't worry child, I'll keep you safe." Her voice was soothing and immediately the pain seized once she was close to me. "I'll help you through the pain but you need to be strong." Her soft voice started to lull me to sleep once more, she was by far the most beautiful creature I'd ever seen and she had this peaceful quality to her that made me believe that I'd be fine.

"Thank you." I whispered. The ethereal woman sat next to me and helped me so my head was rested on her lap. The soft silk of her white dress felt like a welcoming contrast from the harsh and cold ground.

She stroke my head with her soothing hands, the motion was calming and I felt the sharp pain on my side begin to disappear. The whether no longer felt cold and punishing but warm and healing. I took deep breaths which helped me calm down. The woman didn't speak but kept stroking me, she asked no questions , I had the feeling that she already knew everything. We stayed like that for what could've been minutes or hours before I finally had the strength to sit up.

"Are you feeling better?" She asked. This time, now that I was rested and had most of my strength back I was able to see her better. She had skin as white as snow yet it shone like one of an angel, her hair was long and curly yet it was kept perfectly in place, her face was soft yet it had sharp factions that showed she'd seen many tragedies but was so strong she'd pulled through them, her frame was thin and tall, her eyes were deep blue just like my beloved brother Aradan's, her dress fitted her like a glove; of white silk embedded with silver crystals on the neckline and her head was adorned by a silver tiara. Her presence was magnificent and I had the feeling she was no common elf.

"Yes, I am." I replied softly. She looked at me with compassion and shot me an encouraging smile. "Thank you." I finished off as my mouth curved into a tiny smile.

"You must be very confused child. I know all that you've endured in the past day and it musn't be easy for you." The seriousness in her voice made me unable to speak but the sincerity and empathy in her eyes made me want to hug her and cry on her shoulder.

"What happened? Who are you? Why did you help me and how did you know where I was?" Questions came out of my mouth and they could keep coming so I refrained myself and stared at her with puzzled eyes.

"I'll answer all of the questions I can, but some you'll have to find the answer to them on your own." Her smile never left her lips, not even when I rolled my eyes at her. I'd never been a fan of riddles and I wasn't in the mood for any.

"Very well then, let's start by you telling me your name and where you came from." My voice was serious and my face expressionless.

"My name is Galadriel, I also go by the Lady of Lórien." At the sound of her name I started to make sense of Aradan's words before he died and with that answer many more questions came to surface.

"How did you know my brother? Before he died he told me that you'd come and help me with whatever it is that comes next." My voice started getting high pitched, my hands became fists at the memory of my dying brother and my eyes welled up with tears.

Galadriel took a deep breath, placed her hand over my whitening knuckles and stroked it gently. "I came to Aradan and your father in their dreams." She said softly.

"So you knew about the attack and didn't care about warning us!" I forced out a scream, disbelief, hate and sadness overpowered me, I stood up and so did she. I started to walk away from her and I could hear her swift steps behind me. "Leave me alone! I don't want anything to do with you! If you'd warned my father before, him and my brothers might still be alive and I wouldn't be feeling so lost and alone." tears now stained my cheeks and my usually white skin was now red with fury.

"What happened yesterday was something that was meant to happen. You were meant to be the only survivor Caladhiel. You're destined to do great things and in this war you play a very important part." Her voice was eerily calm and cryptic. I was sick of riddles and I wanted nothing more than a simple answer. But Galadriel was making things even more foggy for me.

"I don't understand! How is it that my father and brothers were meant to die? We were happy and at peace here, the North has always been my home." My voice started to crack, then I felt Galadriel's arms wrap around me. I wanted to push her away but her presence was so soothing I simply rested in her arms and cried.

Galadriel gently stroked my back and hugged me even tighter. The sun was burning the top of my head and I could tell it was about mid day. "We have to move from here, the Orcs will be back here to finish off what they started."

"But everyone's dead." I sobbed.

"You aren't." She said dryly.

I looked up at her and furrowed my eyebrows. "So? I can't do anything to them, I am no threat to an army of Orcs."

"Don't underestimate yourself Caladhiel, you need to live for the upcoming war. I've seen the stars the elves need you." Her words sent chills through out my body. I was nothing more than a Northern elf isolated from the rest of Middle Earth.

"So you knew that if my family died and I lived I'd be forced to go down to Middle Earth didn't you?" I asked.

"I'm afraid so yes. But I knew that I'd guide you as well, I'd keep you safe." Galadriel's expression remained peaceful and a smile grew on her lips.

I looked around me only to see vast nothingness, my family was gone and the north was now desolated. "What upcoming war?" I asked.

"The rise of the Orcs. There's some dark forces in this side of the mountains, it was only a matter of time before they came." Galadriel's gaze followed mine. "We must go now child." Galadriel took my hand and lead me into the woods.

This place was familiar, I'd played here with Aradan when I was but a child, but now the forest didn't seem like home. The tall leafless trees seemed to give me a message, the sun shone through making the snow glisten and in the distance I spotted a pair of white stallions.

"Am I strong enough to ride?" I asked remembering my injuries.

"I've healed you Caladhiel." Galadriel replied with a smile.

"So where are we going?" I asked as I mounted my horse.

Galadirel mounted her stallion and made it walk so I did the same. We started descending the Great Northern Peak that had always been my home and we ventured into the unknown. She kept quiet until we were almost halfway down the mountain. The weather became warmer and I found all of my animal skin garments to be too warm.

"Where are we going?" I asked again, assuming that Galadriel hadn't heard me the first time.

Galadriel looked back at me with her piercing blue eyes and shot me another one of her soothing smiles. "I'm taking you to Rivendell."