Chapter 21

His impasive blue eyes bore into mine. I tried to look away but the intensity of his stare devoured me, he was beautiful and both anger and sadness came along with him. I could feel Bard also staring back and forth between Thranduil and I. I couldn't see anything that wasn't Thranduil but I knew Bard had to be confused.

"Why so silent?" Thranduil teased, even though his voice gave nothing away.

"My lord." Was all I muttered and finally managed to look away, my eyes locked with Bard's and he shot me a look that seemed to say 'what's wrong?' I only managed to comunicate it was too long of a story.

"You must be Bard the dragon slayer." Thranduil said after a long pause.

Bard turned his head and looked at him, he was clearly intimidated by Thranduil. "Yes I am." He said in the most unmoved manner he could manage.

"Interesting." Thranduil replied but not looking directly at him. "Would you care to share how?" Thranduil added as he came down from his Elk and walked towards us. His stride was proud and regal, he looked unmoved by the suffering around him, the people of Laketown were basically fawning over the food he'd brought with him.

"Would you like something to eat my lord?" Bard asked as he made way for Thranduil.

"Set up my tent Faindir, I'll be inside." He ordered and Faindir almost got a heart attack at the harshness of his master's voice. "I'm good thank you, but I do need us to have a word." He said more calmly looking at Bard.

"Follow me." Bard responded and the three of us accompanied by Alfrid made our way inside. If Thranduil was shocked by what he was seeing he didn't show it, his face was that of a statue, he looked perfectly serious. He didn't bother glancing at me again, he kept his eyes fixed on Bard.

We walked towards a small balcony were stones seemed to be perfectly arranged for a table, the balcony overlooked The Lonely Mountain and when Thranduil set eyes on it they seemed to grow wide with greed. He seemed different to me, ever since Thorin had shown up everything had changed. We sat down in silence at first and I could feel we were being watched. My eyes drifted to the mountain and even though I couldn't see him Thorin's presence was clear.

"So what are you doing here my lord?" Bard asked after a few minutes of awkward silence.

Thranduil took a deep breath and smirked. "To help of course." His voice had aquiered a sardonical tone to it.

I rolled my eyes and sighted heavily.

"Is something the matter?" Thranduil asked finally looking at me.

"You want something don't you?" I challenged and tried to mimic his impasive attitude.

Thranduil laughed grimly. "It hurts that you think I can't do anything out of the goodness of my heart." He placed a hand on his chest as if offended, but I knew very well he was mocking me.

"You have no heart Thranduil, there's no goodness in you so please cut to the chace." He was shocked, not pretend shock but really shocked. My voice sounded angry and in my eyes he could see I was determined to hurt him as much as he'd hurt me.

"Very well then, I need your help to fight against the dwarves. There's something in the mountain that belongs to my people and I want it back." Thranduil didn't use any mocking expression, this time he was dead serious and didn't look at me, his eyes were fixed on Bard.

"War? I don't think we need to go to those legths." Bard responded. I mouthed a little 'thank you' before Thranduil could notice.

Thranduil took a deep breath and smirked. "But we do, those dwarves wont part with a single coin from that treasure."