Chapter 1

The cold weather was as unforgiving as ever. The cold wind blew strong, cutting through every inch of my being, the sun was setting but there was no moon or stars that night. I was keeping watch with my brothers Locien and Aradan the night seemed to go as it always did except for the lack of stars. My eyes were fixed on the sky and I had a quizzical look in my eyes, I was distracted I knew it and I also knew that now a days our people couldn't afford any distractions. The wind continued to blow and with it came the unusual sound of screams.

"Did you hear that?" I asked my brothers the moment I broke away from my reverie.

Locien fixed his dark blue eyes on mine, he was tall and had raven black hair. "Hear what?" He asked with a smirk. Him and I didn't have the best of relationships; he blamed me for our mother's death, he didn't agree to a woman fighting alongside men as an equal but the thing he hated most was the fact that father loved me best.

"The screams." I replied annoyed.

Locien simply laughed and continued to keep watch. I sighted heavely and rolled my eyes at him. I continued to look out into the vast horizon, beeing settled in the highest peak gave me a breathtaking view of Middle Earth; in the distance I could see the valley and blue rivers, then I saw the woods where Rivendell and Mirkwood were sureley located and then opposite to the Northern Mountains layed Erebor the dwarvish kingdom. I'd lived my whole lived amongst the Northern Eleves, the wolves and bears I'd never been down to Middle Earth nor I intended to. I relished in the cold and snow, I enjoyed seeing the stars before everyone else and I loved the feeling of greatness, I felt bigger and almost omniscient the North was and always would be my home. Or at least so I thought.

"Caladhiel go back inside." I heard Aradan say. My twin brother was as tall as Locien but he had snow white hair like mine and light blue eyes, he was my other half and I knew he was always looking out for me just like I always looked out for him.

I stood up and walked towards him. I placed a hand on his shoulder and squeezed it reassuringly "I'll be fine Aradan, I know how to defend myself." I teased but he looked serious. "What's wrong?" I asked even though I was affraid I knew the answer.

"Locien lied to you." Aradan said criptically.

"He's always lying to me Aradan I can handle him." I replied as I shot a quick glance over at our brother, but what I saw surprised me; Locien looked scared, I knew he felt my stare but his eyes were glued to the sky just like mine had been earlier.

"All of us heard the screams Caladhiel, now go back inside I know father will be mad if we let something happen to you." Aradan's voice was hard and authoritary a quality that was rare in him. Usually the bossy out of the three of us was Locien while Aradan was always the sweet and compasionate one.

"Aradan I've been trained alongside the both of you to fight and I've faught before. Don't treat me as if I were nothing but a defensless woman, I can handle whatever evil is approaching us!" I shoved Aradan aside and made my way towards Locien, I wasn't going to let him have all the fun.

Locien gave me one of his long pensive glances, he usually gave me those when he acted remotely nice towards me. "Caladhiel listen to our brother, go back home." His voice had a chilly edge to it and I didn't like it. I simply gave him a cold look in return but he seemed unmoved. I was never up for discussion with anyone cause usually my temper got the best of me and either me or my counter part ended up hurt. I turned away glancing past Locien and into the dark night sky one last time and walked away. I hadn't taken two steps before I felt someone's hand take hold of my arm. "You're the only one that can protect father." It was Locien, his words sent a chill up my spine and it was in that moment I knew we were trully in grave danger.