Chapter 12

Thranduil left my chambers and I felt lightheaded, everything seemed perefect but now it was time to make my little affair with the king public. I could only hope the reactions to be good but realistically I knew that wouldn't be the case. Elves just like men were hungry for power and at any sign of weakness from their leaders they would strike. Thranduil was known as heartless, cold and impasive; people feared him and that was what made him strong. Maybe being seen with a comonner or having feeling towards someone would show him as weak; he had given into his feelings and was now with me. Our affair being public could only bring bad things upon Thranduil's reign and I needed to stop it at once.

The sun was setting, the afternoon became quite chilly as I made my way up to Thranduil's quarters. I stopped in front of the door, thinking on what I was going to say, I didn't want him to think I was embarrassed on going out in public with our relationship, it wasn't embarrassment I felt, it was utter terror. But I was happy; being with the king was something I would've never imagined and it was the most flattering thing that had ever happened to me. I was about to knock on the door when it opened abruptly causing me to almost punch the steward in the face.

"Lady Caladhiel, I was just going to go fetch you." He said, in his voice I could almost hear a laugh. His name was Faindir; he was short for an elf his hair was copper and unruly and his eyes were almost black, he wasn't very attractive either but he was one of the kindest people in Mirkwood. Sometimes I wandered how could someone so kind serve someone so cold as Thranduil.

"Is Thranduil in there, I need to talk to him." My voice sounded urgent and Faindir stepped aside to let me in.

"He's in the balcony my lady, shall I announce you?" Faindir was the only person besides Legolas that knew about Thranduil and I, he hadn't told a soul, that was the reason I liked him so much. He didn't meddle in other people's business and he was genuienly kind and true.

"No, I'll go in now." I stated and invited myself into Thranduil's room.

Thranduil didn't seize to take my breath away every time I saw him. In the fading daylight his figure looked majestic; his dark red robe contrasted with the orange sky and dusk made his hair shimmer, he looked like a vision and I couldn't believe he was mine.

"Thranduil." I greeted as he took me in his arms.

Thranduil leaned in and gave me swift peck on the lips and smiled."Is something wrong?" He asked, his light blue eyes filled with concern.

"No, not at all...I've been thinking though." I started to say but inmediately fell silent.

Thranduil took my arm and lead me to the railing that overlooked Mirkwood and the lonely mountain; our first kiss had been in this same spot and just thinking about it sent the butterflies in my stomach on a frenzy.

"What have you been thinking about dear one." His voice was calm and I could sense he was deep in thought.

"Do you really think its a good idea to let everyone know about us?" My voice was small and when Thranduil turned to face me his eyes seemed offended.

"I do. Does it embarrass you in some way?" He asked loosing his temper I could tell. His face didn't show much, he went back into his shell but his eyes were sad.

"Not at all my lord. It's just that maybe people will think of you as weak and I don't know...take advantage of you in some way." My face and voice were filled with concern but Thranduil managed a smile, he wrapped both arms around my kneck but kept me at arms legth in order to face me.

"My people will never think of me as weak because caring for someone is not a sign of weakness, I don't know what you learnt up there in the North but here our friends and family make us strong. Anyway, have you met me. Some times I can tell you're afraid of me." His voice seemed amused and his eyes danced with the setting sun, he looked beautiful.