Chapter 4

I sighed and hit my palm against my steering wheel. “Where do people learn to drive in this city?” I muttered to myself into the silence of my car. The sun was out and I was grateful for the soft warmth it cast over my frozen car. The traffic was slow and unmoving, the usual occurrence for the early hours of the morning. I glanced at my watch on my wrist and grunted. I had my first lecture for the semester in an hour and I was only ten minutes from campus on a street filled with cars that seemed in no hurry to move. I couldn’t blame them though; the heat radiating from the bright sun above was far too glorious to want to leave.

A green light blinked in the distance and the few cars ahead of me strolled forward. “Finally!” I yelled. It took me ten extra and unnecessary minutes to reach campus and to find a parking space. I had fixed my black beanie on my head and made my way towards the large cobblestone building. I took a few seconds to admire the beauty of the tall pillars that formed the foundation for an impressive and intimidating mosaic arch. The building was carefully constructed and inspiringly designed to create an imagination flowing and boundary free environment for aspiring architects.

“You entering or fleeing?” I jumped at the unexpected sound of a rich gravelly voice. It shouldn’t have, but the voice alone caused goose bumps to sprinkle along my already cold arms. I looked to my left and almost gasped aloud. The man was the definition of handsome. His luscious chocolate hair looked smooth and clean causing my fingers to desperately seek the chance to take a swim in his short curls. His oval face was a soft caramel that resembled far too many days in the sun or a possible Italian or Portuguese decent. His chin held a whisper of equally dark stubble and I had an image of his face causing a splendid friction against mine. His lips were evenly plump and tinged with an adorable hint of blue from the cold. I glanced up into his eyes and my breath caught. His eyes were large and round with perfect circles of sterling grey. His gaze was soft yet intent and I found myself lost for the briefest time.

He cleared his throat. “I didn’t mean to scare you.” I watched his mouth move and my knees weakened slightly. I blinked, ending my trance and tried to recall what he had just said.

“I’m entering.” I answered. He grinned and my stomach tightened. He really was beautiful.

“Awesome. So am I. I’m Kevin Smith.” He extended his hand in greeting and I stared dumbly at his face.

What seemed like hours had passed before I realised I had left his hand hanging between us. “Tori Carradale.” I answered and placed my smaller hand into his. The few dark hairs on his wrist tickled my hand sweetly.

“How come I’ve yet to meet you? I take it you’ve been here for almost four years like me?”

“I tend to keep to myself and just focus on work.” I answered and he nodded. I continued to stare at him, unsure of what to say. The beautiful specimen grinned and ran a hand through his hair allowing me to watch his toned lean muscles flex graciously through the constraints of his hoodie.

“Shall we go inside before we’re late?” He asked and I nodded silently. He walked ahead of me and I followed cautiously well I tried to stop any drool from escaping. He made walking look effortless and sexy. Unlike Matt who preferred to wear his pants two sizes too big and halfway down, Kevin wore perfectly fitted jeans that showcased a magnificent firm backside that had me salivating.

How had I gone four years and missed this gorgeous man?

“After you.” I smiled appreciatively towards Kevin, his height causing me to bend my neck backwards. I walked through the door he held open for me and quickly walked up the steps to find a seat in the far back of the large lecture hall. I chose to ignore Kevin as I concentrated on being unseen. Once I was in my seat my eyes automatically sought out their new prey.