Chapter 14

I was really starting to despise modern technology. Yes I am well aware of what a traitor I am to my generation but when you’ve had the misfortune of a cellphone interrupting a potentially intimate moment, on several occasions, you start to hate the amazing invention. Things were headed in a fantastic direction between me and Kevin; that is until his cellphone rang. It wasn’t that bad the first time. He excused himself and not long after, returned and happily retook my hand in his. I had smiled and thought everything was great.

It wasn’t. His cellphone had rung five minutes later. Once again, he excused himself. The second call lasted longer and instead of returning gleefully, he returned with a frown and sat gruffly alongside me. Whatever the call was about, it had upset him so much that he sat an entire cushion space apart from me, ignored me and refused to touch me during the remainder of the movie. I couldn’t move closer unless I wanted to wake Tommy and anyone with half a brain would know what a terrible idea that would be. Reluctantly though, I had left Kevin to his own thoughts and pretended not to notice his actions or the thick tension it brought.

However; it wasn’t until the third phone call that I truly started hating modern technology. When his phone had rung and he left, once again, I knew it meant our time together had ended. As he stood in the kitchen speaking in hushed yells, I carefully and with great difficulty, put Tommy in his own bed. I had moved Tommy without disturbance and once I had returned to the lounge, was frustrated to see Kevin wasn’t there. I sat curled up on the couch brooding and secretly hoping Kevin would notice my frustration and question me on it.

I wanted an explanation; I however, did not want to ask for one. I had muted the movie in an attempt to hear his conversation. It didn’t work all that well. I had only caught a piece of the argument. Kevin had yelled, louder than a whisper yet thankfully not loud enough to wake Tommy. “She’s my partner for goodness sake. It isn’t like I’m sneaking over and having my way with her. That is an absurd thing to suggest!”

Well two things were clear. One, he was talking about me and two- I was naive to believe he had been harbouring feelings for me. My heart felt like it had dropped to my stomach as the realisation of his words hit. I had finally come to terms with my feelings for Kevin yet somehow I had missed a crucial step. Kevin didn’t feel the same way.

I had somehow constructed this crazy idea that the chemistry and attraction between us was real. I wasn’t wrong. Our chemistry was real. Unfortunately it was only real to me. It had all been one sided. I was so stupid. I bit my lip as I tried with great difficulty to stop my tears. Kevin didn’t deserve to see me cry. I didn’t want him to know what an idiot I was for falling for him. I secretly wiped at the corner of my eye just as Kevin entered the room. He frowned at my position on the couch and quickly closed the distance between us until he stood directly in front of me, his knees resting against my own. He crouched down and placed his hands on my legs.

‘He’s just using you for balance, don’t get ahead of yourself,’ I chastised myself. My rethinking didn’t stop my body reacting. My thighs burned with the feel of his warm hands on my body. His thumb drew lazy patterns across my thighs and my skin tingled. I had the sudden bizarre urge to clamp my legs. No one had ever elicited such reactions from me, not even Matt who I had believed was my soul mate.

How could he not feel the same way? How could he not realise how much our bodies connected or how much our souls were beginning to entwine?

How could such a handsome man be incredibly beautiful yet equally oblivious?

“What’s wrong Tori? What has changed?” Kevin asked as his one hand drew my face towards his with his finger under my chin. He’s eyes stared right into mine and his gaze burned my much like his hand on my thigh. I broke. His gaze seemed to reach further into my psych than I liked. I cried unashamedly and forced my head to stare at my own hands clasped in my lap. “Look at me please.” He whispered and leaned forward until his forehead rested on the top of my head. “Please don’t cry beautiful. Tell me what’s wrong.” His fingers reached to my face and his fingertips grazed my cheeks delicately.