Chapter 16

“Tori, I was thinking about something,” Kevin broke through the silence that covered us while we worked.

“Oh boy, that isn’t a good sign.” I joked. He scoffed and flicked my ponytail.

“I like your hair colour.”

“Um, thanks.” I stammered and subconsciously twirled my hair around my finger.

His cheeks tinged a light red and he quickly turned his head to stare out the window. “So about what I was thinking.”

“Oh yes, that’s what we were talking about.” I giggled.

“You’re full of jokes today aren’t you?” he asked amused.

“Only if they’re at your expense.” I smirked. Was I flirting, or better yet, was he flirting? I didn’t know but I sure did love the banter.

“Ha. Ha. Can I tell you my thought now?”

I laughed and pretended to sigh in aspiration. “If you must.”

His mouth shot open. “I think I need to tape your mouth closed.”

I giggled and leaned in closer to him until we were a breath apart. “You can tape me anytime you want.” I whispered. His eyes turned heated and I knew I had him.

I couldn’t believe I had actually used a line like that but the reaction I got from Kevin was well worth the potential embarrassment. His breathing was ragged and after some time passed where we sat staring at one another, he’s hands found mine. He covered my hands with his and let his eyes fall to where they met.

He sat silently watching his fingers trail patterns on my hands. I wondered if he could feel or see the way my body reacted yo his touch. He slowly picked my one hand up to his mouth and laid a gentle kiss on the inside. His lips were warm and a delicious tingle quickly spread through my trembling body. My body lit up in flames and I stopped breathing. He held his lips against my skin for the longest time.

His lips slowly left my palm and I whimpered. He chuckled low and soft that I almost missed it. He took his lips and moved them to the inside of my wrist. He kissed it once and I started to shake. He smirked right before his lips hit my delicate flesh again. He began a trail with his lips up the inside of my arm. My breaths were shallow and my body shook so much that Kevin had to hold my arm still.

“Your skin is so soft. I can’t get enough.” He ran his tongue along my wrist and moaned.

“Oh my!” I squirmed in my seat.

“Tell me to stop.” He looked up from my arm and snuck a glance towards me; his lips stayed hovering over my arm.

“I can’t.” He grinned.

“I was hoping you would say that.” He resumed kissing me and began to reach higher and higher up my arm. He soon reached my shoulder and I sighed, letting my eyes close. He nibbled on my collarbone and something in me snapped.

“Kevin stop.” He didn’t. “Kevin! Stop.” He stopped and pulled away from me instantly.

He looked shocked, “I’m so sorry Tori. I don’t know what came over me.”

I reached over and held his face in my hands. “Don’t apologise. I only said stop because we’re in public and things were getting heated quickly.”

He blushed, “Yeah, I don’t know what came over me.”

“Maybe we should concentrate on working. We still have the report to write.”

“Sure.” He turned around and continued with his work. We continued with our work as though our steamy encounter hadn’t just occurred but I couldn’t stop smiling. Kevin wasn’t as oblivious as I thought. He felt the same way or must at least recognise our chemistry.

If only he would act on it more often.

“So what were you thinking about anyway?” I asked once I got tired of the silence.

“What do you mean?” He asked.

“Earlier you said you thought of something.”

He laughed, “I think I forgot. It’s hard to concentrate with you being so close.” He smirked.

I blushed, “surely you haven’t forgotten.”

He thought for a moment. “No I haven’t. What I was thinking was that we should take a break, but I think our activity earlier counted.”

“I could go for lunch.” I answered.

He grinned, “lunch sounds good.” We packed our things away and made our way out of the library. It wasn’t long before we reached a small sandwich shop. He opened the door for me and I walked into the warm shop. Kevin insisted on paying for my meal which actually made me happy. We found a seat at a booth and I was a little disappointed that he sat across from me but considering how fast things escalated earlier, it was a good idea.

“So can you answer a question for me?” He asked, suddenly turning serious.

“Again?” I teased. He didn't smile and I frowned.

“Yeah sorry, there’s something I need to know.” He paused. “why don’t you have a boyfriend?” My smile dropped.

“Why do you want to know?”

“I’m just curious.”

“It’s a long story but I actually just came out of a long term relationship.”

“How long?” He asked.

“Two years. I ended things with him seven months ago.”

“What happened?”

“Why all the questions?” I snapped.

“I’m sorry.” He whispered.

“Fine.” I mumbled and turned to my food. We ate in silence. It was always the same with him. One step forward and two steps back.

After some time had passed between us in silence and Kevin had eaten his entire salami sandwich, he looked to me with a frown. "I didn't mean to pry. I just can’t understand why such an amazing girl like you would be single."

Because I'm waiting for you.

If only I were brave enough to answer. "I'm single because I choose to be."

"Why did you choose to be?"

I groaned, "I got hurt alright." I sighed. "I know it's cliché but it's what happened. He cheated more than once and that sort of thing tends to harden a person's heart towards dating. I don't have trust issues I just don't have any desire to try again. I have Tommy now and that's who I need to focus on."

Even as I said it, I knew that way of thinking didn't apply anymore.

"Don't you think Tommy needs a dad?" He asked.

"No!" I hissed.

"I didn't mean that sorry. Urg I just mean, don't you want to be happy? Maybe have your own family one day?"

"Of course, but sometimes in life though, there are more important things." I shrugged. "I'm not saying I'm giving up on relationships, I'm just saying that Maggie needs me to focus on Tommy while he's so young."

He smiled softly, "Tommy is great isn't he?" I nodded. "I really do understand. I hope one day you're up to trying again." I smiled.

If it's you who's asking... then yes.