Chapter 27

Two days had passed at Serenity Camp of Eden and I was beginning to develop cabin fever. I was moody and cranky. I was tired of the quiet but mostly I was bored. Being left alone to deal with my own thoughts was not healthy nor had it seemed to be helpful. I was depressing myself. I came on the getaway to stop thinking and to solve my problems; instead I was dwelling on them. I had realised that my greatest problem was that I hadn’t dealt with Maggie’s death productively. I tried to remedy the situation but I didn’t know how.

I couldn't stop thinking about Maggie. You know what good that did me? None. Constantly dwelling on her death and abandonment had only pushed me further and further into depression. The only activity I had the will to complete was feeding Tommy. I didn’t even feed myself because I found no purpose in it. I wanted to die with Maggie because it had to be better than being stuck in this world alone. I hadn’t bathed in two days, I hadn’t brushed my hair or teeth, and I hadn’t changed clothes.

What I had done was a lot of crying.

My useless behaviour had however made Tommy restless. By the evening of the third day, both he and I were ready to end our so called peaceful getaway. When Saturday morning came around, I packed up our things and without changing, left the camp. Once we were on the highway and I had cell phone reception, my phone beeped for an hour straight with messages and notifications. I decided to pull into the side of the road and check my phone.

Most of the messages were from my parents demanding to know where I was and claiming to have filed a missing person’s report with fear that I was already dead. I sent them a short reply. I was still angry.

I’m safe, call off the search. I needed to get away and think. Tommy is alive. We’re on our way home.

I deleted all their messages and gasped when I saw ten from Kevin.

Kevin: Where are you?

Kevin: Please call me. I’m worried about you.

Kevin: Your parents just called me. They’re freaking out. They said you ran away. Is that true?

Kevin: Text me if you’re alive.

Kevin: Are you dead?

Kevin: Don’t ignore serious questions just because you’re still mad at me!

Kevin: I didn’t mean that last message. Ignore it.

Kevin: I’m scared. Please tell me you’re safe and that Tommy is too.

Kevin: Answer me.

Kevin: I miss you.

I smiled at the screen and began crying again. How did Kevin manage to make me so angry and still I loved him with all my heart. I wished he loved me back but is actions were proving he didn’t. He was engaged. He was just playing with my emotions, using me for his own enjoyment. I wondered if he ever laughed about me behind my back with Dean. He wouldn’t, would he? I cried harder at the thought.

After finally calming my cries, I sent off a quick message to Kevin.

Me: I’m alive and still mad. There was no reception.

I left it simple and vague. Seconds later my phone rang. Kevin’s name flashed across the screen.

“Hello,” I replied hoarsely and with apprehension.

“Oh thank goodness you’re alive! I have been worried sick about you. I thought you were dead or that you ran away because of me. Tori I don’t want you to leave because you’re mad at me. Please stay. Don’t ever leave.”