Chapter 25

I took a deep and painful breath of cold air and held the doorknob in my clenched fist. Tires screeched behind me and slowly the sound grew fainter the further Dean drove away. I twisted the doorknob and pushed the door open with great caution. I placed a foot in the door when suddenly my body was pushed back outside the house. My glaring father’s face became visible under the porch light and I cowered.

“What do you have to say for yourself?” He asked furiously.

“I already told you. It was an accident daddy, I fell asleep.” I whispered and rubbed my shivering arms. I was shivering from a mix of fear and cold though mostly from fear. An angry dad was never a good sign.

“What were you thinking staying out till three in the damn morning? Your mother and I have been worried sick about you, only to hear you chose to rather shack up with your boyfriend then care for your godson!” I flinched and tears welled up.

“It wasn’t done on purpose! I would never just forget about Tommy. I love him more than life itself. How could you accuse me of choosing to rather shack up with Dean than be with Tommy? What kind of person do you think I am?” I argued. Tears were falling down my face and I sobbed openly in front of my father. Usually tears softened him but I may have angered him too much. My tears appeared to frustrate him more.

“I don’t know who you are anymore Tori.” I gasped.

“How could you say that daddy?” I whimpered and lifted a shaking hand to my trembling lips. “I’m still the same person I always have been.” He shook his head and looked at me with sadness in his eyes.

“No you’re not baby girl. You haven’t been since Maggie’s death and its only getting worse. You were never like this, coming home late at night from your boyfriends’ house with hickeys on your neck.” He pointed at my neck and I automatically covered it with my hand. 

“Maybe I’m just finally deciding to live.” I snapped.

“No Tori. What you’re doing is reckless and stupid, not living. You’re starting to act just like Maggie used to. I never believed she was a good influence on you.”

“What?” I screeched. “How could you say something so mean about my best friend? My dead best friend!” I screamed. “Maggie is the best person there is and all she ever encouraged me to do was be true to myself and stop hiding in my shell. How could you possibly stand there and say that being anything like Maggie was or is a bad thing? I’d be happy to be any bit as great as she was!” I was done crying. I was now livid.

“Stop overreacting. This is exactly what I’m talking about. You never argued back or caused us reason for concern. We’re worried about your mental health.”

“Now I’m insane!” I screamed. “What next, you’re going to accuse me of being a drug addict or suicidal?”

My father grunted. “Stop being a child and start taking responsibility for your actions. You have a child to raise and your future to consider; you can’t start acting like a rebellious teenager.”

“I’ve always been responsible.” I shouted and threw my hands up in exasperation. “All I’ve ever been is the responsible one. I messed up dad but it’s the first time. Lay off already. It isn’t like I was out robbing banks. I fell asleep, it happens.” I pushed passed my dad and stormed into the house. My father followed and the slamming of the front door soon followed.

“You’re not to see him again.” He grunted.

“Who?” I snapped, throwing my body around to face him.

“Dean.”

“What? Are you seriously forbidding me to see my boyfriend again? All because I accidently fell asleep at his house and left you alone with Tommy? Are you out of your mind?”

“I mean it Tori.” My dad stormed forward. “He is a bad influence and I don’t want my little girl or Tommy near a man like Dean.”

“Are you even listening to yourself? I’m not a little girl anymore. Wake up daddy, I’m twenty two years old and in my last year of university and I have a seven month baby to raise. I’m old enough to make decisions that affect my life, not to have you make them for me. Stop cradling me and let me mess up on my own.”

“Wake up Tori,” He spat. “You aren’t on your own anymore. Every decision you make affects Tommy.”

“I know! Stop assuming I don’t know that. I need to make my own mistakes. How else am I supposed to learn?”

“What kind of parent would I be if I let you make bad mistakes?”

“A good one.” I commented. “And you would be a great parent if you were there to support me when I needed you after I learnt from my mistake.” He glared.

“You raise a baby for a month and suddenly you’re an expert in parenting.”

I laughed bitterly and turned away. Before I reached the hallway I looked back at my dad and added, “no, but twenty two years of being your child does.” I left my dad stunned and alone in the room and walked to my own. I entered my room and found my mother watching Tommy. “Whatever you want to say, don’t. It will end in a fight and I’m sure none of us wants to wake Tommy up.” I whispered and my mother nodded tightly. She left my room in silence and I fell on my bed.

I was mentally and physically drained. I was exhausted. I needed a break. I needed an escape from all the hostility. I reached for my laptop on my table on clicked it on. Once it had fully booted, I went into Google. I searched for holiday retreats on a budget. Many results appeared and I viewed them all. I found some dodge looking destinations but I also found some beautiful serene scenes. After an hour of searching, I found a place that was only a two hours’ drive south from my home and looked to be a reasonable price. I quickly logged into my bank account and double checked my savings.

I had enough.

I found the bookings site for the cabin I found and entered my details. Five minutes later my booking was done and complete. Tomorrow everything changes. I shut my laptop down and climbed into bed. I set my alarm for seven which only gave me two hours sleep. I closed my eyes and prayed for time to speed by.

Tomorrow we leave. Tomorrow is when Tommy and I disappear.