Chapter 13

Once I had left the bathroom and found my way back at the library, I wasn't all too surprised to see that Kevin's chair was empty and that his stuff was gone. In fact, I was relieved. I was dreading the conversation that would follow our 'almost kiss' in the bathroom. So I had done what any normal person would have done

I fled too.

I'm a coward right? Well in my defence, Kevin was one too. I had raced home as though my car would catch alight if I stopped. Miriam was surprised to see me home so early but I could tell she was pleased. She had been getting the sniffles and I was starting to think that her sniffles were quickly becoming a body crushing flu. I hadn't done much once I was home. I chose to spend my suddenly free day playing with Tommy and when I had a moment alone, working on my design which lacked a start. I had been so swept into my work while Tommy napped that I hadn't expected or realised Kevin had texted me. It was only after dinner that I had read it.

Meet me tomorrow.

His text was short and to the point as it always was. I smiled and replied with a yes. My anxiety had disappeared when I noticed he was ignoring our previous situation much like me. We were both a little useless really. I shrugged it off and continued with the day as though it never happened. That idea of thinking had however led me to my current situation.

I was supposed to meet with Kevin again except I was a sitter short and horribly desperate for a solution. Miriam had called this morning apologising profusely for her absence. I had been right about her sniffles apparently. What I had failed to consider was the fact that I now had to watch Tommy myself. Easy enough right? Not exactly. Kevin and I also needed to work on our project if we actually stood a chance at winning.

I did the only thing I could.

"Good morning." Kevin answered my call with his trade mark chipper personality.

"Hi, um Kevin I have some bad news." I answered meekly.

"Oh no, is everything alright with Tommy? Are you alright? If you're in the hospital tell me or if someone dangerous is there in the house just blink. No wait I can't see your blink. You need to clear your throat."

"Kevin!" I screamed into the phone ending his paranoid rambling. "Gosh, stress much dude? Calm down please?"

He sighed and I could hear him take in a deep breath and exhale. "Sorry. You just scared me."

I giggled lightly. "It's really sweet that you'd react so passionately if something were wrong." I sighed, "It isn't that bad though. Miriam called in sick which means I don't have a sitter. We'll have to cancel today. It's the only option I can think of."

"No it's not." He scoffed. "Why don't I just meet at your house?"

I nodded and then replied, "Sounds fine, if you're okay with it?"

"Would I have suggested it if I weren't?"

I groaned, "there you go again, answering my questions with your own."

He laughed and I smiled in return. I could listen to him laugh for the rest of my life. It was soothing and contagious. It was an odd mix that somehow only worked for someone like Kevin. "I'll see you there soon." His voice sounded lighter after his spit of laughter.

"See you soon." We hung up and I stood for a moment grinning at my phone. I was really starting to like being around him. I looked towards Tommy who sat comfortably in his own world and smiled. "We better get presentable little man. We have a bigger man to impress." Tommy looked at me briefly and then turned his attention back towards his plastic box that lit up when hit. He smacked his fist hard on the button and a bright red light flashed. Tommy squealed and glanced at me happily. I laughed and Tommy joined me. He looked back towards his box and hit it again so that the light could flash. When the light shone, he looked to me again. I laughed and he followed. After having the action repeated a few more times, I realised that Tommy found more enjoyment in making me laugh than seeing the light flash.