Chapter 24

I had a meltdown. I’m not sure if that’s the right word to use but I was sticking with it. After my horrendous altercation with Kevin, I had a meltdown in my car and then spent the remainder of my day soaking up Tommy’s goodness. I felt better; in fact I felt so good the next day that I decided I needed a date with Dean. I never thought I’d ever hear a grown man squeal but it turned out, all I had to do was ask to see Dean for it to happen. He was happy I called. He got the impression after our last visit that I was through with our relationship. It was only one more thing to add to the pile of guilt I already had to deal with.

Tuesday night I had dressed in tight jeans and the lilac blouse Dean had picked for me on our shopping excursion. The weather was warming up as we neared spring so I paired the outfit with a thin jacket. Dean arrived promptly at six in the evening and I climbed in his car without a second glance at my house. I knew if I had then I would have been tempted to stay.

“So where are you taking me?” I asked after kissing Dean hello. He pulled out of my driveway and placed his hand on my thigh. He drove an automatic which meant he could hold my thigh the entire drive. I grinned when his hold tightened on the flesh on the inside of my thigh where my thigh and knee joined. He kept his eyes on the road while he spoke.

“My house.” I frowned in disappointment. We had yet to go out on a proper date yet and I was hoping we would have tonight. “I have a special evening planned for you.” He quickly turned his head and winked before staring back at the road.

“I can’t wait. What do you have planned?” I asked, my excitement growing.

“Can’t say but, I’m hoping to continue were we left off.”

“What are you talking about?” I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion.

He chuckled and let his hand travel up my leg until it stopped a finger length from my hipbone. “Saturday evenings’ fun activities.” He murmured and carefully rubbed the inside of my thigh with his fingers. I squirmed in my seat and lifted his hand off my leg and placed it on his own lap. He frowned in my direction. “What gives babe?” He demanded.

“Please focus on driving.” I pleaded.

“I want to hold you while I drive. I can drive with one hand, it isn’t that hard.” He reached for me again and I pushed his hand away. He scowled, “babe.” He hissed and I dipped my head to look at my lap.

“Please?” I begged. “Don’t you remember me telling you how I lost Maggie? It would make me feel a lot better if you concentrated on driving. Please?” He sighed and placed his free hand on the staring wheel. His forehead was still creased. I touched his arm and ran my finger along the width of his bicep slowly. “We can play at home.” I felt sick after I said the words but they had the desired effect on Dean. His body softened and his face smoothed out. We drove in silence until we reached his house.

Dean lived alone in a tiny apartment similar to Maggie’s old one that we still had to pay towards until her lease ended at the end of the year. Dean opened the door and I walked in quietly. I was hoping there would be candles covering the floor and rose petals on the carpet and we would share in a quiet floor picnic. Though it may be cliché, it was cliché because of how romantic it was. I wanted romance. Dean however; didn’t seem to house a single romantic bone in his body.

His home was empty of candles and rose petals but astonishingly filled with trash and dirty clothes. “Was my surprise that I was cleaning your house for you?” I asked. Dean laughed as though I made the funniest joke but I was being serious. I couldn’t see anything in his house that could have been titled a surprise for me.

“No Tori,” He grimaced and stepped around me to pick up a pair of his boxers hanging over the edge of the couch. “Sorry about the mess. I hadn’t had time to clean up.”