Chapter 20

I knew I didn’t like Dean’s garage and my decision was only further proven when I entered the building only to be greeted with catcalls. My skin crawled and bile quickly rose up. I scurried along as fast as I could towards the back of the garage where I remembered Dean mentioning his office stood.

I soon found a tiny square room with the door closed. I knocked, secretly terrified of Dean’s reaction. A large burly looking Afrikaans man opened the door. The man stood as tall as the door frame in a pair of brown khaki pants and a matching shirt. He seemed somewhat out of place in the dirty grease filled room. He seemed more prepared for a safari than a look under the hood of a car.

“What you doing here pretty lady?” His Afrikaans accent was thick causing many of his words to run into each other. The man sported a bald head that blended in with his large round face. His chin disappeared into his neck and his eyebrows furrowed as he spoke.

“I’m looking for Dean Callas. Is he around?” I asked nervously. The man intimidated me.

“What you want Dean for?” He asked folding his arms against his chest. His weight made it difficult for his arms to close completely causing him to leave his arms hanging in the air. It looked uncomfortable but the gesture worked if his goal was to frighten me.

“I’m a friend of his. I was just hoping to talk to him.” He grunted and shoved his head to the left. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion which made him sigh.

He pointed to the left. “See that black car?” I nodded. “He’s under it.”

I smiled stiffly. “Thank you.” I turned to leave but was stopped when his hand touched my arm gently.

“I don’t suggest you come around here alone again you hear? This place isn’t safe for a little lady like you.” I gulped and nodded. He gave me some weird chin tip in return and I quickly rushed towards the black car. I could feel eyes on me as I walked and the silence that followed made me feel like I was walking towards my death. Before, the place was alive with activity but, the further into the building I ventured, the quieter it got.

I was really scared. Maybe I was making a mistake coming here. Though it occured to me that I probably should have called Dean before I arrived. The car reached closer to me and I decided to ignore my doubts. There was no use turning back now. As I reached the sleek car I could see slight movement underneath. The garage was built so that cars could park on a machine that would lift it above a ditch where the men would then stand in and reach up to work underneath the car. Gone were the days where they used those flatbeds with wheels.

“Dean.” I called out hesitantly, apart of me still afraid that I was sent towards my doom. Since my appearance somehow caused the men to stop their work, it was easy for the person to hear me. I could see the legs and elbows of a body stop moving and then walk towards the stairs. Dean ascended the stairs and carefully stood before me.

“Tori?” He questioned, uncertain of my presence.

I laughed awkwardly, “who else?” He scratched his head with a black hand.

“What are you doing here?” He didn’t sound mad which was a relief. He did sound confused though which made sense. I hadn’t spoken to him since the last message he sent about having a question he wanted to ask me.

“I wanted to see you.”

He strolled forward until we were a foot apart. “Why? I thought you didn’t like my garage?”

I laughed bitterly, “I don’t, but I needed to see you.” I repeated.

“Needed, not just wanted?” He asked with a tinge of hope riding his voice. I nodded with a grin. “Why?” He asked again.