Chapter 11

“I need your help.” I darted my eyes around the interior of the small campus restaurant in an attempt to avoid his gaze.

He cleared his throat and I could hear the scraping of his clothes material as he shifted in his seat. “With what?” He asked.

I sighed and forced my eyes in his direction. He sat across from me still in his required blue overall. I stared at his middle button that looked as though it were hanging on by a thread. His muscles had pushed a few of the other buttons open and I sat betting when the middle one would finally weaken against the constraints. I didn’t look him in the eye when I answered. “I want to get Kevin’s attention.”

He choked on the large breath of air he gulped. He sputtered for a while and thrashed his head forwards while he tried to clear his windpipe. “I thought you weren’t looking for a relationship? That’s what you told me.” His temper was rising, I could hear it in the snap of his voice.

“I know that’s what I said Dean but when I say ‘get his attention’, I don’t necessarily mean in a romantic way. We just got paired for an assignment that means a lot to us both. The only problem is that Kevin is like an emotional yoyo. One second he’s a nice guy and helping me when I’m stranded, next he’s ignoring me like the plague. I can’t expect us to have a great design if we can’t even get along. I need you to help me figure him out.”

“Why would I do that?” His frown deepened and the vein in his neck seemed to bulge.

“You’re his friend and I’m sure as his friend you wouldn’t want to stand in the way of his success.”

“How does this have anything to do with his success?”

“The assignment is part of a contest to win an internship. It’s something we could both use. The architecture business isn’t just something you fall into. You need that step in the door which, they’re providing. We need to be able to work together though, and that’s where you come in.” I smiled though he didn’t return it.

“You expect me to play referee every time you meet?” If it weren’t for his sneaky grin I would have thought he was serious judging from his stiff features and hard tone.

“No, that would be punishment for all of us.” I giggled and was happy to see Dean smile, though briefly. “Is there a problem?” I couldn’t quite understand why my request rendered a mood change from the man.

“Not at all.” He was silent for a moment and I watched his face turn from ‘I’m going to kill you’ to ‘I’m thinking of something evil.’ He smirked and held my gaze. “I’ll be happy to help, love.” He winked and I smiled stiffly. “I know just where to start. You need a makeover. Come on, let’s go now.”

“What?” Dean stood up abruptly and began to pull at my arms.

“Come let’s go.” He pulled at my arms until I was out of my seat and trailing behind him. He paid our bill quickly and then dragged me with him to the large shopping centre across the street from the cafe’. He laughed under his breath and it sounded a little menacing. Dean suddenly went from rigid to ecstatic though; his sudden burst of energy was terrifying instead of exciting.

“Why are you acting so weird? You’re scaring me a little.” My words must have snapped him out of his daze because his smile disappeared and his speedy movements slowed to normal.

“Sorry.” His mumble was met with a pout though I suspected it was probably a coincidence more than planned. “Maybe I’m just really excited for the makeover.”

“Manic is more the word I would use. I still don’t see why I need a makeover.”

“Your good girl look is off putting for a guy like Kevin. He won’t take you seriously dressed like that.” He gestured to my body with a frown creasing his smooth forehead. I looked down at my body in question. I was wearing light blue jeans with a pair of leather looking knee high boots that I thought made my legs look longer. I wore a simple pink jersey and a thick black scarf to keep the cold away. I thought it was cute that morning when I chose the outfit. Now, I wasn’t so sure.