C h a p t e r 2 2

Rosaline

"Because," he places his palm on my cheek and stare at me, "I like you."

I gasp and sat up while trying to fix my irregular breathing. After I calm down I start pulling my hair like a madwoman.

"Why are you dreaming of that!?" I asked myself.

I close my eyes and took a deep breath in and then breath it out. I must be going crazy.

Suddenly, the door to my bedroom opened. I jump back a little when I saw Nicholas walking inside with a tray of a towel and a bowl of water. I eyed the tray with a confused face.

"I see that you are awake."

"Yeah, I am."

"You almost gave me another heart attack when you fainted earlier." He told me as he sat on the edge of the bed and dip the towel into the water.

"Fainted!"

"Yes, fainted. After I...confessed, you fainted, " he answered.

My eyes bulk out of my eye socket as he casually pats the towel on my face like what he said was no big deal. I wasn't dreaming. He actually did tell me he likes me. I couldn't help my turn flustered at that as my heart began to pick up its pace.

He pulls away from the towel and looks at me. A warm smile gracing his face as he looks at my flustered face. He pinches one of my cheeks but stops when I bit his hand.

"I see that you don't replicate my feelings yet. But that's alright, " he turn his attention to the water and re-dip the towel, "one day, hopefully, you will feel the same way."

My heart skips a beat at his words. He sounded so confident, his eyes didn't shine a single ounce of hurt when I didn't feel the same way as him. Instead, they held hope and determination. I gulp.

I stare at him as he continued patting my face with the cold towel. Could I really fall in love?

I supposed I can.

-*-

"Open wide, " I opened my mouth and let Nicholas feed me the porridge that he personally made.

Surprisingly, it tasted good. I thought it would taste too watery by the look of it.

I told him I could eat just fine by myself but he insisted to feed me. He was acting a bit too careful after we came back home. He was acting like I broke my arms and legs. I only fainted.

"Your brother called earlier, " he told me as he fed me another spoonful.

"What did he say."

"He said you should keep in touch with him since you guys finally got to meet."

I nodded my head, happy that I had a family member to talk to. I felt so odd having someone to talk to when you have been alone for so long.

"I'm surprised I didn't even notice that Ken was your father. You have a lot of resemblance of him than your mother, " he paused then look at me, "speaking of your mother. Who is she?"

I lick my dry lips as my throat went dry. I could tell he was about to apologize but I spoke before he did.

"Mitchell. She's obviously not the best."

He nodded his head and didn't ask anything afterward. After he finished feeding me he got up and gave the tray to the maid.

"I'm going to go head out now. If you need anything, I'm just one floor away."

I smile and nodded my head.

Once the door was closed I fell back onto the bed and stare at the ceiling. Bored, I got up and walk to the balcony to stare out into the night sky. I open the door and sat in one of the armchairs that were facing the backyard.

I let out a sigh as I glance at the moon. The sky was completely empty, but there was one star glimmering brightly.

Make a wish, Rosaline.

And so I did. I closed my eyes and lift my entangled hands toward my face.

I wish for a happy ending.

I open my eyes and check to see if the star flashed or send me some signs that my wish would come true. Sadly, nothing happened like what all the stories I heard it did.

"I guess you don't want me to have a happy ending, huh?" I asked the star.

It didn't budge. Not that I was surprised.

I shook my head and walk back inside and shutting the curtains before hopping back inside the bed.

I thought my wish wouldn't come true but it sure will. Tomorrow would be the start of my happy ending.

VOTE AND COMMENT