Silly Love Songs

Valentine's had arrived, and it was overly difficult for Haley to not barf at everything red and pink or the couples crowding the hallways.

She was currently sitting in the cafeteria eating alone, and talking to Kurt on the phone.

"I'm curious. Did he ever actually say you two were dating?" Haley asked.

"Well not in so many words."

"Did he put the moves on?" She asked.

"No, but we were always singing duets, and he was always smiling at me." he explained.

"Oh Kurt..." She sighed.

"Oh, my god,  I made up the whole thing in my head, didn't I?" He sighed.

"That's okay...It happens with everyone." She assured him.

"Well it isn't looking too good. I have a crush on him, but he's in love with someone else. Who he is serenading at the Gap. I'll be devastated if it works." he said.

"I'm in your situation too..excluding the crush, serenade and the Gap." Haley sighed.

"Should-Should I go?"

"Yes! Go and scope out the competition you know? You two are both so guy crazy... I mean, sure I don't have a date or boyfriend for Valentine's Day, and I could give a rip.." Haley said. Even though they both knew she was hiding her sadness behind her facade.

"Okay..I guess I'll go." He said.

"Yeah." she agreed as she saw Sam walking towards her table.. "Oh, sorry Kurt I have to go."

She hung up and smiled up at Sam as he approached her.

"Mind if I sit?" He asked.

"I would say it's a free country...but we have our problems." She said in response. "Anyways what can I help you with?" She asked, after he had sat down.

"I saw it. Their faces were, like, right up next to each other. Kissing distance."

"Huh?" she asked. She wished he would've noticed she wasn't in the mood to be talking about this especially on Valentine's Day.

"And I mean...Why hasn't she kissed Finn at his booth yet?" He continued.

"Look, I know she's been distant...But you are all up in her business, assuming she kissed Finn. I'm a little confused, because it seems you are annoyed that she hasn't kissed him." She replied.

"It's weird, okay!?" He explained. "Something seems off."

"I think your idea of what is going on is a little insane." she said.

"Everyone thinks I'm dumb." He sighed.

"No, not everyone." she said, trying to offer him some comfort.

"But I'm not. At least, not about Quinn. She may play it cool, but she has her ambitions." he sighed.

"Trust me Sam, I know." Haley said, annoyed. "She loves having status. She is obsessed with labels. She loves to be queen bee, and if she thinks that being with Finn will up her position in the food chain,  she will do something about it."

"I don't know, Hay...I just think that there's something there, you know?"

Hearing this, Haley stood up and picked up her tray. She turned to walk off, but looked back at him. "Look it's not my problem, I don't mean to sound rude, but Quinn is your girlfriend, not me." she said before walking away, as tears began to fall down her face.

"Hay, wait!" he yelled after her. He sighed, his heart aching  realizing that he had made her upset. Haley was the next person he really cared about. He scolded himself, and attempted to fight the weird feeling in his stomach, that he had whenever Haley was around.
----
Later that evening, Santana and Haley entered Breadstix. Santana had a plan to get Haley and Sam together, so if he was here, her plan was on track. As they got inside, they spotted Sam sitting alone.