Chapter 28: Training and preparation

Rubbing his stomach, Izuku sits down on the floor and groan softly. As expected of an experience hunter, Togata is really strong. He was worried about hurting Togata by accident but it seems like there's no need for that. Even with his vampire speed, Izuku couldn't win against him. He tried to predict Togata's next action and he still end up losing. It was possible for a human to win against a vampire barehanded and that's really amazing in many ways. On a side note, getting punched on the stomach really hurts. Togata's punch really hurts like hell.

The training room is huge but they are the only one who is using it at the moment. Izuku looked up when a bottle of sports drink is being offer to him by the blond haired hunter.

"Here, have a drink and recover some of your strength."

"Thank you very much." Izuku smiled weakly and took the drink from Togata. He was trying to hide that he's getting a little bit hungry but it seems like he failed at it. Taking the bottle's cap off, he took in a big gulp and that manage to push his hunger down to the lowest level. "You really are amazing, Togata-senpai."

"You're pretty good yourself. It's just that you tend to think too much." Togata said as he sits down right next to Izuku.

"Eh?"

"It's okay to plan your strategies but during battle, you won't have much time to think about what your next move is going to be. For a vampire like you, sometimes it's better for you to listen to your instinct."

Izuku was stunned when he hear that. Listening to his instinct? There's no way that Izuku can bring himself to do that willingly. All these time, his vampire instinct has been nothing but a bother. The urge to drink blood, the urge to hurt and kill someone... it's like a curse.

But Izuku can understand why Togata is suggesting that he listen to his instinct. Animals survived in the wild because they listen to their instinct. But to him, the risk is too big for him to take and he's scared of it. He listened to it unintentionally before and what he did was... simply a horrifying and cruel thing. Even if the opponent is a vampire, Izuku did things like attacking their eyes to take away their sight or kicking them on the head.

"Sorry Togata-senpai, that's probably the only thing I couldn't allow myself to do."

"It's alright, it's just a suggestion so you don't have to think too hard or stress yourself out over it."

There was a short silence between them. Then, Izuku muttered under his breath. "...Togata-senpai really is strong. With you on the team, I'm sure that you protect everyone without fail."

"No, that's not true. There's a time where I failed to protect a very precious friend of mine." Togata admitted.

"What...?"

"One day, we got send to another town for a mission to hunt down a vampire. It turns out that the vampire is extremely violent and it wasn't stated in our report. Both of us got pretty beaten up during our fight with that vampire. Things taken a turn for the worse when we got separated from each other. Although I manage to defeat the vampire in the end, I wasn't able to find my friend anywhere. I search for him for days but I still couldn't find him. In the end, everyone proclaim him as dead and I was ordered to return back."

"So that's how it is..." Izuku thought. He finally understand why the other people is giving Togata those pitying looks back at the cafeteria. In their eyes, Togata is just pitiful person who lose someone dear to him.

"But you know, I believe that he's still alive out there somewhere. While that friend of mine can be a little wimpy at times, he's really strong so there's no way that he's dead." Togata continues with a smile.