Chapter 33: Warning, danger

"I'll give you two choices. Will you save this boy over here? Or will you save this girl over here? Choose one and I'll let the other one go."

The badly injured teen watches in horror as the long black-haired vampire drag his friends effortlessly towards him. The female vampire has a hand on each of his friend's head and that terrifies him. He knew how powerful pure-blooded vampires are and how they can easily crush a human's skull.

This was supposed to be a simple mission. Nobody would have thought that a pure-blooded vampire would be involved. They weren't prepared enough to face this opponent and this is the result.

With a broken leg and an arm that has been bleeding pretty badly, Monoma wasn't in any state to fight and neither are his friends. They couldn't even call it a 'fight' when it ended in less than ten seconds. Everything happened way too fast for them to react. Before they knew it, everyone was already badly hurt.

Now standing in front of him, the vampire's lips turn upwards into a sadistic smile.

"So? What's your choice?" she asked again.

Monoma couldn't speak nor make a move. Choosing between Tetsutetsu and Kendo? They are his friends, his teammates. They grow up together and they have been through many missions together. There's no way he can choose one of them and let the other one die. But if he doesn't choose, both might die.

Is there any other way? Maybe a stronger hunter can come help them. Maybe if he can buy enough time, someone at the headquarters will notice that they are not back yet and send a search party for them-

A weak cough from Tetsutetsu snapped Monoma out of his thoughts as he stares at his friend with wide eyes, fearing for what's going to happen to them next.

"Let... Kendo live... so kill me instead..." Tetsutetsu said.

"I see. Your friend couldn't make up his mind so you decide to sacrifice yourself instead. What a great friend you are."

Refusing to let Tetsutetsu die, Monoma quickly put on a forced smile and speak in a mocking tone. "Ahahaha! Those two are actually weaker than me! I got more worth than them and my rank is higher than them. Letting a bigger prey like me off is so stupid! I can't believe a pure-blooded vampire couldn't be so dumb!"

This is a horrible attempt at buying time and Monoma knows it. But at the moment, he really can't think of another way out. If the vampire chooses to kill him instead, it would be the best. As long as his friends can get to live, he won't be dying in vain.

"Hm... you're not wrong about that. It's always the best to get rid of a talented hunter before they can become someone even more troublesome to deal with in the future. I could kill you and maybe keep an eye or a finger as souvenir."

At those words, Monoma paled when he realized that this vampire is the one who is famous for attacking people and keeping their body parts as a sickening hobby.

"But too bad. I got another hobby you see." The vampire added.

Bright red blood splatter across the ground and across Monoma's face. He slowly lowers his eyes down to the vampire's hand, which is dripping with blood. And on the ground, is the headless bodies of his two friends.

What the... did she just...?

"Hahahahaha! That expression is what I love to see! I can never get enough of those looks of despair!" the vampire laughed and she ran a hand down her face, smudging the blood over her face. The way she looks right now... really shows Monoma what a real lunatic and bloodthirsty monsters look like.