Chapter 39: Rescue mission

"So, you're saying you want us to hand over our territory... is that why you're here?" Shigaraki said, narrowing his eyes on Overhaul, hands itching to grab the insolent pure-blooded vampire who is sitting on the opposite side of the table.

Inside the dark meeting room, the other vampires who is watching from the side can feel the heavy tension in the air between the two highly dangerous vampires. Everyone is on their guard, ready to fight if one of the leaders were to show the first sign of attacking.

"You're well aware of it yourself. Compare to the past where the group is being led by the previous boss, your organization has already long fallen from its past glory. With the death of the world's most fearsome pure-blooded vampire, the human's symbol of 'fear' is gone. A new leader is needed in order to bring the vampires back to age where we're deeply feared by the humans."

To Shigaraki and the rest, the message is as clear as day to them. What Overhaul is implying is that Shigaraki doesn't has what it takes to rule, to become the next symbol of 'fear'. That's both insulting and unacceptable. Shigaraki would gladly rip his opponent's head off if he wanted. But he's well aware of Overhaul's ability and the fact that he's working on 'something' that could affect the balance between both humans and vampires.

As much as Shigaraki hates to admit it, Overhaul has some useful information hidden away and killing him now would be a waste.

"I've been gathering allies so we'll be overthrowing the hunters soon. There's no need for you to stick your nose into our business. And despite that sensei is no longer with us, I have already taken over sensei's role so this town is now my main hunting ground, my territory. I have no intent in handing it over to you." Shigaraki said.

"'Soon' huh... I'm merely pointing out the problem you're facing. You don't have what it takes to lead. Not only that, you also lost many useful pawns. If you hand over your territory and those that serves you, I can show you how to make use of their full potential and I can assure you that the hunters will no longer be a threat."

Some of the vampires working under Shigaraki frown upon hearing that, clearly upset and annoyed by what Overhaul just said. Who the hell does he think he is to decide who they should follow? On top of that, he called them 'pawns'. Which goes to show that he sees them nothing other than tools to be used and thrown away. As if they would want to follow such leader.

"The nerve of you to make such offer...!" Shigaraki thought as he glares at Overhaul. Every other vampire aside from Overhaul flinched at the sudden bloodlust that sends chills down their spine. If Shigaraki's ability works with eye contact too, Overhaul would most likely be dead by now. With a low growl, Shigaraki said, "I'm done listening. Leave now."

"...Very well. Seems like you would need some time to think about it so I'll take my leave for now." Overhaul placed a name card down on the table and stood up. "I hope you'll be able to give me an acceptable answer the next time we meet up."

Just like that, Overhaul into thin air as if he was never here to begin with. With the presence of the other pure blood vampire gone, the vampires who is watching from the sideline can finally relax a little bit.

Moving closer to Shigaraki, Kurogiri asked, "What do you plan to do now, Shigaraki?"

Shigaraki remains silent for a while as he thought about their next move. Then, he finally replied, "...We'll be moving to another hideout. Since they already know about this place, they could attack anytime if they feel like it."

"Understood. Then I shall go and fetch your fledgling-"

"Ah, there's no need for it. Since I got other plans for him now." Shigaraki said with a knowing smile, much to Kurogiri's surprise.