Part 1: Chapter 1; Rocky Start

16-year old Shinobu Kocho was not in the best of moods, running among the trees, approaching the end of a two-week long trip to the southwestern coast of Japan, to the city of Nagasaki.

Only a few days after returning from another mission, she had been summoned to Oyakata-sama's headquarters, to be given a mission with a man she had never even met, one of the most powerful demon slayers in the corps, 18-year old Sakusa Kari.

She could still remember what the Master said to her, even if over two weeks had passed.

"Shinobu, I would like for you to meet with another one of our Hashira, the Rage Hashira, Sakusa. He requested backup for a mission he had taken up, but said that it was not urgent. However, while he was not able to tell me much, he did say that this was far different than any other situation we have encountered before, which is why I am sending you to rendezvous with him at the Wisteria House in Nagasaki."

"I understand, Oyakata-sama." Shinobu replied with a smile as she sat directly before the man, "However, wouldn't it be best for Giyuu, Gyomei or Kyojuro to meet with him? As I have never met this man in my life, I'm not sure we would share the same chemistry as those who have teamed up with him before."

Kagaya let out a sigh, however, and broke the news to the Insect Hashira that didn't help with her image of the man one bit.

"Unfortunately, most Hashira, besides Gyomei and Giyuu, refuse to work with Sakusa anymore. He has...a very unique personality, and he is frequently unable to work well with others. However, he is more than capable in terms of strength, something which you may already know."

Shinobu may have been relatively new to the Hashira, having taken the role after his big sister was killed by Doma, the Second Upper Moon, but she wasn't such a rookie that she wasn't aware of the Rage Hashira's strengths.

As she ran through the trees, her flashback ending, she thought back to the slivers of information she received regarding her new partner, Sakusa.

Name: Sakusa Kari, Age: 18, Height and Weight: 194 cm, 99 kg, Statistics and Information:

Sakusa Kari was born to Yaguchi Kari, the now-retired Rage Hashira, and Aia Tokito, retired Kinoto. Passed the final selection exam age 8, killing 27 demons during the exam, had gone on to kill over 40 demons in three years and became the youngest ever Kinoe at 11, before becoming the Rage Hashira after killing both the Third and Second Lower Moons on a two-man mission with his father, who lost his left arm in the fight. Has gone on to kill five more Lower Moons, but another mysterious accident led to him losing an eye, replacing it with an eyepatch. He has gone on to kill over 175 demons since being promoted to the rank of Rage Hashira, and is ranked only behind Gyomei Himejima in strength, behind Shinobu Kocho in speed, and is ranked 1st in every other known category.

However, she had no idea what the man even looked like, something that annoyed her greatly.

Fantastic, the first mission I get with this practical legend of the corps, and I don't even know what he looks like....

Just knowing that she was about to meet someone who not only her older sister Kanae worked together with, but most of the Hashira before her, irritated her.

But then again, literally everything irritated Shinobu.

Most of all, demons.

She was the youngest in her family, being the younger sister of Kanae Kocho, and she idolized her from the start. Her kindness, her gentle demeanor, her grace, the beauty in even the simplest things she did, she adored her.

But, everything came crashing down when her parents were murdered by demons. She and Kanae barely escaped with their lives, being saved at the last minute by Gyomei Himejima, the Stone Hashira. It was that event that led to her and her sister training and devoting themselves to becoming demon slayers. Kanae managed to rise to the rank of Flower Hashira by 17, while 14-year old Shinobu lagged behind a bit. Kanae oversaw the Butterfly Mansion and became the master of it, until once again, tragedy struck for Shinobu.