Part 1: Chapter 2; Beginnings

We leave at dawn. The location of the real mission is a half day southwest of here, on the very edge of Shimabara Bay. I'll brief you on the way, don't keep me waiting.

-Kari

This was the note Shinobu found on her door when she was to head to sleep, and the instant she saw it, she tore it up.

She wouldn't dare speak to him after what he said about her sister.

"E-Erm, Lady Kocho?"

As she was about to head into her bedroom, she heard a new, feminine voice come from behind. She turned around and Umiki stood before her. The woman was much more well-kept than her husband, but the bags under her eyes were still apparent. She was as basic as they come, just like Sadao, with black hair tied up in a ponytail, standing only a few inches taller than the petite Insect Hashira.

"Yes, Umiki?" Shinobu replied. She wasn't in the mood for speaking in all honesty, she was still livid about Sakusa's statements about her sister, but she figured she could spare some words for the keeper of the house she was staying at.

"U-Uhm, we know we put your quarters right next to Master Kari's," The woman sputtered, "But we couldn't help but overhear your conversation with him, and we are more than happy to prepare another room for you if you'd like."

"Oh, no, no, that would be too much of a hassle for you two, please, enjoy the rest of your night~!" Shinobu replied with a smile. In reality though, she really wanted to be as far away from him as possible.

She thanked the tired woman for the offer, and bid her adieu, closing herself off in her room, alone with her thoughts.

She had a nightmare that night, the first in a long time.

Shinobu was back to her 14-year old self, holding her blade in her hands with her sister standing a dozen feet away from her, covered in cuts and scrapes, her butterfly haori torn to shreds.

She knew this moment all too well.

N-No!

In a split second, a silhouette shoved a bright golden fan right through her sister's chest, Kanae spewing blood out of her mouth as she stared at the young girl, her eyes wide open, refusing to blink.

Shinobu begged, pleaded, screamed for her legs to move, but they could not.

She tried to raise her sword, but her arms wouldn't budge either.

She had to watch as her sister collapsed to the ground before the figure, her clothes stained red and her face frozen in place as her life withered away.

STOP, STOP THIS, STOP SHOWING ME THIS, PLEASE!

Tears stung the young girl's eyes as her bottom lip quivered and her knees shook, mortified from the murder of her sister.

It was only when the figure turned to face her that she was pulled away from the horror, but the girl was left with an even more disturbing image in her mind,

The image of a grinning Sakusa, licking the blood of her sister off of a golden fan in his hand.

"-NO!"

Shinobu jolted upright, panting and sweating, her face contorted in terror. What....why did I dream that....I haven't had nightmares like that in forever.....

She tried to calm her breathing, but rather than calming herself down, the opposite happened. The butterfly girl felt tears crawl down her cheeks and she wept into her hands, whispering for Kanae.

"....sister.....w-why did you have to go......y-you know I miss you...."

"Bad dream, I'm assuming?"