Part 1: Chapter 13; Flicker

Sakusa jolted upright a few hours after being rendered unconscious, something Shinobu visibly scowled over.

The crimson-tipped teenager looked around in confusion, before shrugging and acting as if nothing had happened earlier on in the day.

It irritated the ravenette, seeing someone she had lost her temper against rise back to their feet so easily, especially when she was still suffering from the effects of Sakusa's blows to her body.

Her uniform was far from intact, though luckily she always kept spares on hand, and changed herself as quick as possible, always darting glances in Sakusa's direction in case he woke suddenly.

Sure, he was always half-naked with nothing but a haori normally draped over his upper half, but that didn't mean she had to be.

As Sakusa lay unconscious on the floor, Shinobu had the hours to herself, hours she used to ask questions.

A few were simply questions of her existence, asking why she was born so weak and why Sakusa was born so strong, why she had to suffer the deaths of everyone she cared about, why the demons she hated with such a passion even continued living.

Others were ones that brought her confidence down and made her feel as small as she knew she was.

She began to understand her situation even more the longer she thought about it, and if she was being honest with herself, she was starting to feel overwhelmed with frustration.

Shinobu, a Hashira who climbed through the ranks without being able to slice off the head of a demon, was now preparing herself to fight a silver-haired beast whose pressure swallowed her whole when he wasn't even present, merely being an illusion cast by his minions.

He had the killer intent and bloodlust of Doma, with the power to match them as well, and she was completely overthrown by him with ease.

She didn't forget how easily she gave up and accepted death either, shutting her eyes and waiting for his Blood Demon Art to end her life.

Worst of all, she had to be saved by Sakusa, of all people.

She hated being indebted to someone like that, she hated being indebted to someone at all.

It was one of her many, many irritations in life.

But now wasn't the time to dwell on what angered her.

If Sephir was telling the truth, then there were two Upper Moon-level demons heading right for them in one day, and they were both far from peak condition.

If they were to even survive, let alone win, the two Hashira would need a miracle.

It seemed like a massive obstacle in not only her way, but Sakusa's as well, and yet, the teen still acted as if she was going to be a burden on him either way, as if she would end up holding him back.

Was she really so weak, that in a fight between a sadistic demon rebelling against Muzan, she would only be a hindrance?

As she folded her arms around her legs and nuzzled her head between her knees, she let out a long sigh.

Tch....maybe I should have just switched with Himejima when I had the chance, I bet he would be able to handle this mission.....

When Sakusa awoke, however, those thoughts quickly left her mind, and one line replaced them.

Fuck. You.

The crimson-tipped teen, however, looked as casual as ever as he approached her, sitting down on the ground beside her with one knee bent and his arm resting on it, planting the other on the ground.