𝐓𝐄𝐍

I sat at the Great Hall as I served myself the regular breakfast I always had, waffles

I sat at the Great Hall as I served myself the regular breakfast I always had, waffles. It was the only thing that didn't make me feel nauseous after, it was more like comfort food. I knew a friend who liked waffles just as much as I did. We used to go to a nearby muggle coffee shop every morning, where we ordered the same waffle dish with smoothies and talked about life until the universe took it all away from me.

The breakfast hall was rarely empty but Monday mornings were always exhausting so fewer people showed up and did breakfast in bed. I liked to get up and go to the hall so this way some part of my life felt productive enough, it was merely a way to keep myself from thinking into my thoughts.

Distractions.

I scanned the Daily Prophet through the pages as I sipped some warm hot chocolate. I hated tea or coffee, so hot chocolate was the way to go. I remember this funny story from way back ago, the reason I began disliking coffee. When I was little, there would be these canned boxes of powdered chocolate, it was the best thing in existence until one day we ran out at home. I wasn't aware that we did so I decided to go to the kitchen and get some to realize that the original purple box wasn't there. I looked the other way to see a clear bottle of dark powder, I thought it was chocolate.

It wasn't.

It was coffee. I took a spoonful of coffee thinking it was powdered chocolate. I instantly threw up and washed my mouth with water a couple of hundred times, the taste was dreadful. This happened seven years ago but it's still a very vivid story in my head. So yeah, I hated coffee.

I sat eating my breakfast calmly as my eyes flickered up to look around, to find Malfoy attempting his way to eat breakfast. He had applied fresh bandages to his hands, his hands looked freshly bruised still and it made me guilty.

I should've just stayed in my dorm room.

No, he should have punched a guy out of nowhere.

Fuck.

I watched for a minute as he struggled to maintain a grip on the fork, eating waffles as well.

Well, it makes sense why he stole mine.

He continued to form his lips into a thin line as he felt pain holding the fork. The fresh bruises made it harder for him to bend his fingers without hurting. Shit. I took a minute before I folded the Daily Prophet to the side as I moved over to face him. I hesitated before I did, I hated him. I hated him so much but something in me told me to fucking help him.

Indecisive.

He looked up at me as he noticed my presence and the hesitance in my hands to take the fork out of his hands and pick up the knife to help him. We didn't speak, it's like the silence spoke for us, that our eyes were enough to communicate an understanding.

"Do you — do you want help?" I want to walk away right now. What are you doing?

"No," he spoke, breaking the silent mutual understanding. I looked up at him with a straight face. "Young — "

"I can spell the fork, so you don't need to turn your hand into a fist while trying to hold it."

He stared at me. I stared at him.

"I don't need your help, I'm perfectly capable of handling my problems myself." He tried to curl his hands into a fist but failed as he dropped the fork.

Placing my hand in front of the fork as I muttered a spell. "What are you doing?" He questioned as I closed my eyes, completing the spell.

The fork stabbed itself into the waffle a little too harshly as he look at me with annoyance. I should perfect that spell. "See? Not so bad?"

The fork floated in front of his lips, is he going to refuse to eat it? He was refusing. When he didn't oblige, the fork paced towards his mouth but he ducked.

I placed my hand over my mouth as the fork stabbed into the wall of the opposite side of the Great Hall.

His tongue poked against his cheek as he looked down at his plate of waffles, but no fork.

"I can conjure you a fork," I said in an attempt to help. "No," he said, "please don't."

"I just need to revise that spell, it wasn't supposed to do that." I almost looked sullen as I stared at the missing fork.

"I don't want your help," he said with no hesitation, "and I don't want it. So don't make any more magical forks appear."

"Do you want water?" I asked as he parted his lips to speak but didn't, which gave me a clear answer. "I'm sorry, I don't mean to be like this. I just feel guilty. I can't help it."

The silence was excruciating.

"I had this friend. Her name was Margarita," I talked as I had his attention, "she broke her arm once and I conjured a magical fork. She used to love waffles just like me, just like us I guess." I slightly smiled as I looked down, allowing myself to not make any eye contact.

"Was?" He asked.

"She died," I bluntly said without hesitation. "It was an accident with her boyfriend. Car flipped. They didn't make it."

They say when you look into someone's eye for the first five seconds, you see their true emotions before they wipe it all away and I saw them when I looked at him.

I have class," I said as I broke the stare between us. It lasted longer a little too long.

"Right."

I picked up my books as I headed out of the Great Hall. I hated opening up, making myself feel vulnerable and out of the people I chose to share it with him. Bonnie wasn't known about this situation which was a clear indication of how much I kept to myself.

I walked through the corridors when I heard someone call my name. I turned around as I watched Potter walk toward me. It confused me because I thought he was searching for Horcruxes. "Harry?" I questioned as he smiled heading towards me.

"Evelyn, how have you been?" He asked as I smiled back, nodding my head slightly.

"I've been good, just fine as usual. I thought you were with Ron to find Horcruxes," I spoke in a low tone at the end to not let anyone around us hear what we were talking about.

He looked at me for a second. He wanted to say something but couldn't. My eyebrow knitted in confusion as he twisted the rings on his fingers.

"We just arrived back last night." He was looking away. He wasn't saying the truth. "We found one but the others were impossible to find, only one took a whole three weeks," he said, "so far we have only destroyed the ring, the diary, the locket and we located the diadem somewhere near us."

"We have exactly seven Horcruxes on the list, three destroyed, the knowledge of one and the last three are unknown?" I questioned to get assurance as he nodded his head.

I don't remember the time we discussed Horcruxes, my head felt hazy and incomplete.

"But there's one thing wrong," he said as it troubled my mind. "He knows we're destroying the Horcruxes, I can feel it yet he isn't acting on it which means that these Horcruxes are just doing minimal damage."

"Do you mean that the rest may be the main key to getting rid of him once and for all?" I questioned him.

"Possibly, we aren't sure yet." He fiddled with his hands a little as he talked to me. "The meetings are starting again since we're back for November before we leave again."

I nodded as he turned to walk the other way. We're only halfway through the first week of November and it already feels like the downfall for everything.

I took a deep breath in.