EIGHT: No More Normalcy

Jane's birthday party was today, and Hector and Jane were definitely the most nervous of them all. The couple just wanted everything to go right today without any problems or mishaps. The amount of stress they've all been under lately was a lot. And what the pair wanted was for everyone invited to enjoy the day.

Everyone agreed to meet up at Evie's place to head over to the Enchanted Lake together, where Hector and Jane would be waiting for them along with the other guests. Helena held her presents as she walked along the path from her house to Evie's place. She knocked on the door once she reached, revealing a very glamorous Evie.

"Morning, Hells," greeted the daughter of the Evil Queen, stepping aside to let her friend in.

"Morning, E." Helena hugs Evie, placing her gift down on the counter nearby. "Are we all set and ready to go?"

"The kids are almost done getting ready and we're almost finished packing the picnic baskets." The blue haired princess then paused as she noticed what her friend was wearing, "I am loving your outfit though."

Helena wore a navy blue chiffon dress that had a double frill hem, a waist panel with tie, and crisscross straps. The chiffon fabric was soft and its unique crinkled texture only gave the dress an added layer of beauty. The outfit was paired with diamond and silver jewelry and of course, her father's necklace.

"You should thank the designer," Helena replied, the two girls grinning at each other. Evie headed towards the spare rooms to check on the younger VKs while Helena went into the kitchen.

"Morning, de Vil," Helena greeted cheerily. The son of Cruella de Vil was already dressed for the party, currently trying to fold the box that Jane's cake was sitting in.

The daughter of Hades peered over Carlos' shoulder to look down at Jane's fully decorated birthday cake. "Wow, Mal did a good job decorating."

"It's a good thing that we didn't let Jay decorate."

Naturally, Helena moved forward and lowered her head to rest on Carlos' shoulder. She didn't think much of it, but it was all the de Vil boy could think about at that moment. The gesture stunned him momentarily yet one that left him smiling. Carlos continued with the task at hand happily, though he did fumble a little bit.

"Is it bad that I'm excited for today?" She asked lowly, her eyes still focused on the cake.

"I know what you mean. I still want everything to go right today because Jane deserves it, but that whole impending doom thing is still in the back of my mind," replied Carlos, completely understanding how the princess felt.

"It's so confusing. I mean, I want all of us, especially Jane, to have a good time today. But there's a part of me that feels guilty for wanting that, knowing that there's something coming for Auradon."

Carlos turned around, so that he was now facing Helena. He could see the worry and confusion in her eyes. "It's okay," He told her gently, taking her hands in his. "It's okay to want good things for your friends, and it's okay to want to protect Auradon. All that confusion just means that you care... and that you're a good person."

"Thanks." Helena replied with a soft smile. "You always know what to say to me."

"I've also known you for most of my life." Carlos then began rubbing his thumbs across her hands, "And I'm always here for you, Lena. Always."

"I know and am grateful for it because I... I don't know what I'd do without you in my life."

"Well, it's a good thing that we won't ever have to worry about that."

Helena stared at the white haired boy in front of her, truly grateful that he was still in her life. There was a time when she thought the end of their relationship would be the end of any relationship that they might have. But thankfully, that wasn't the case. Truth was that they just needed space to figure out their individual lives. And once they did that, then they began to work their way back to each other. And now, they're back together and soon going on a date. Things were good between them, so why were they holding back? What was the point?