SEVENTEEN: Better Than Ever

After her talk with Mal and Evie, Helena exited the conservatory to be outdoors. She hoped the fresh air would help her gain some clarity. She didn't have an exact location in mind as she wandered around and just let her feet guide her forward. She did make sure to stick close to the house, however, since there was an angry, scepter-wielding princess out to get them. 

The daughter of Hades stared at the flowers Evie had outside of her house. She waved her hand over the bunch of wilting flowers, watching them restore to their full health before her eyes. Gods, how she wished she and Carlos could be like that. For them to be happy, vibrant like that again.

"Something on your mind?" The sudden voice made her jump, the Greek girl turning around to see Carlos standing there.

"Carlos, don't do that." She then relaxed, watching the white haired boy carefully as he casually leaned against the side of the building. "What are you doing out here?" 

"I came to talk to you." 

"Why? I thought you didn't want anything to do with me."

"Oh," He said, seemingly surprised at this revelation before quickly covering his tracks. "Well, you know how I get. I just need some time to cool off."

"Right." It was then that she caught sight of something in his hand. "What's that?"

"Think of it as a little peace offering." He then tossed the item to her, which Helena recognized as her favorite fruit, pomegranate. It looked so red, so enticing that it was begging for her to take a bite. "For everything that's happened between us." 

"Thanks," She said, though it came out as more of a question as she pondered over his strange choice of words. 

Carlos let out a forced laugh as he watched the girl play with the fruit in her hands. "Aren't you going to eat it?" 

"After we talk about everything first," Helena replied, her tone making it sound as if it were the obvious course of action. 

But the de Vil boy quickly grew annoyed the longer the fruit went uneaten by the brunette princess. He tried to keep his composure and smiled tightly, "Well, why don't you eat it first and then we'll talk?"

"Do I need to do that now?" She then asked. What was the big deal with her eating this fruit anyways? Of course, she would eat the pomegranate eventually, but it was more important that they talk first. Why was he acting so weird about it anyways? 

"No, you don't need to eat it now," He said through gritted teeth, forcing a smile. "But consider it a sign of good faith. You know those things aren't in season around now, so I worked hard to get my hands on one. You can even make a wish if you'd like."

"A wish?"

"Yes, one bite and all your dreams will come true." 

"You don't really believe that," Helena chuckled. Carlos was far too smart to believe something as silly as that. 

"No, but it's nice to dream, to pretend for a little bit," He replied with a casual shrug. "There's no harm in make believe."

"What would you wish for?" She asked curiously. 

"A happy ending," Carlos replied with a knowing expression. "Now, take the pomegranate and make a wish."  

"Fine," She said with a slight chuckle, going along with Carlos' little game. Helena eyed him curiously one more time before looking down at the fruit in her hands. She grabbed the pomegranate and ripped it open in half, taking a bite of what had to be the most delicious fruit she had ever eaten. "Happy now?"