TWENTY-TWO: The Gods' Dilemma

Mal, Evie, Jay, Carlos, Ben, Uma, Harry and Celia were all in the Underworld after Hades himself personally summoned them to his domain. The audience room, where the VKs and the king were gathered in, had gone silent as the news Thanatos just revealed them slowly settled in. Using Ursula's blood, Maleficent managed to recreate the famed Sleeping Death potion that the Evil Queen once used on Snow White. The villainess then took Jafar's idea and used a peddler's disguise to disguise herself as Carlos to give Helena a pomegranate dipped in the potion. And now, the potion was slowly making its way through Helena's system. And when it was done, well ...

"So what?" Carlos spoke first, his voice already shaking. "You're saying that Helena ... that Helena could ..." But the de Vil boy could bring himself to say the word.

"No," Evie refuted strongly, shaking her head profusely. "No, absolutely not."

Mal leaned back in her seat, trying to wrap her brain around the entire situation. "This cannot be happening."

Jay couldn't speak, swallowing the lump in his throat and doing his best to hold back his tears.

"Gods," muttered Uma, Harry looking down at his lap while Celia could feel her eyes begin to water.

The room got silent as the reality of the situation sank in for all of them. It should come as no surprise that the villains are, well, villainous. After all, most of the people in the room were the children of these very villains that were born and raised on an island full of villains. So, they knew better than anyone just how nasty, vile and cruel they could be.

And honestly, they knew the villains would find a way to hurt them. They were always bound to get back at Mal, Evie, Jay, Carlos and Helena for what happened at the Royal Cotillion and previously at Ben's coronation. It didn't matter if both events happened years ago, villains could hold a grudge. Especially since their own children gave up on evil and refused to set them free. But this ... doing this to Helena was beyond cruel.

"I must admit," Thanatos said softly. "I do not wish to see the princess in such a way."

"Then don't," replied Hades, which caught the lesser god by surprise.

"My Lord?"

"Don't let this happen to her. Don't take my child away," urged Hades, practically begging for Thanatos not to lead his daughter to the Doors of Death.

The young adults heard something in Hades' voice that they never expected to hear from the feared Lord of the Dead: sadness. And it only hurt that much more. They were going to lose someone they considered their friend and family. But Hades and Persephone were going to lose their child, which would be unspeakably painful. And worse yet, they were powerless to stop it. Even the gods themselves couldn't help Helena.

Thanatos could hear the pain in his master's voice. And as much as he wanted to abide by the request, he knew that the result would be catastrophic if he did. "Sir, you know as well as I that there could be a chance that her soul will be lost forever if not brought to the Underworld."

Hades looked away, his grip on Persephone's hand tightening. He knew Thanatos would say nothing less. He knew better than anyone what would happen to souls if they didn't come to the Underworld when they were supposed to. But still, he wanted a different fate for his little girl.

The lieutenant then bowed his head. "I know I may have upset you for what I may have to do should the moment arrive. I beg for your forgiveness, my Lord and my Queen."

Hades turned his head, looking at the lesser god with an unreadable expression on his face. "Always so dutiful, Thanatos. Till the very end." The Lord of the Dead then nodded, "Granted. You may leave us."