TWENTY-SEVEN: From the Ashes

Helena walked aimlessly through the dark with Thanatos by her side. She didn't where she was or long had she'd been here. There was nothing around except for darkness, everything pitch black as far as the eye could see. The darkness didn't frighten her, she had been born to it after all. But there was something troubling her, though Helena was doing her best to ignore the feeling.

Thanatos seemed to pick up on this. "Is there something wrong, Princess?"

Helena laughed lightly, swinging her arms at her side. "You mean except for the fact that I have no idea where we are."

"It is strange, yes, but it is not what's bothering you."

"I mean, it is a little more than strange. We're literally in the middle of nowhere -"

"And you're dodging the question." Helena froze, startled at being called out like that so blatantly. Thanatos turned toward the young woman. "What do you see?"

The girl's face immediately scrunched up at the strange question. "Is this a trick question?" She gestured widely to the nothingness around them, "Thanatos, there's nothing here."

"Look again."

Helena decided to entertain this idea. She turned to the side, looking off into the distance. She opened her mouth to tell him off once again, only to close it once she noticed something strange. A white cloud began to form in the midst of the nothingness, an image forming within it and voices filling the air soon afterwards. The Greek girl took cautious steps forward, keeping her eyes on the newly created scene in front of her.

It was the day Mal, Evie, Jay Carlos, and Helena had first arrived in Auradon. They stood on the front lawn of Auradon Prep, surrounded by other students holding 'Welcome' banners and waving small flags. In front of them stood Prince Ben, Princess Audrey, and Fairy Godmother, the older woman doing her best to get the situation back under control after the villain kids' unsightly arrival. Who knew all the people present here would one day become involved in Auradon's future?

Helena laughed lightly, seeing how young, wide-eyed, hopeful they once were. "Wow."

"It's been a long time, hasn't it?"

"Yeah, it has."

"Fairy Godmother?" the younger Helena asked, showing a sudden interest in the conversation. "As in bibbidi bobbidi boo?"

Said woman smiled, "Bibbidi bobbidi, you know it."

"Yeah, I always wondered what it felt like for Cinderella when you just appeared out of nowhere. With that sparkly wand and warm smile... and that sparkly wand," Mal said.

As younger Helena huffed at her friend's poor attempt at subtleness, the older Helena could only shake her head and laugh. It seemed almost silly in retrospect to think that there was a time where all they cared about was stealing the wand and making their parents proud. It showed how much they've grown. They were no longer those naïve, impressionable kids but strong, mature adults; their own people.

"We were so young then," said Helena in almost disbelief, staring at their younger selves. "So eager to prove ourselves."

"So innocent as well. Before you all had to face the harsh realities of the world."

Helena let out a sigh, knowing fully well what Thanatos meant. This was before they knew just how deep anti-villain (or anything villain related) ideals ran throughout the entire kingdom, thanks to the system created by King Adam. And just how difficult it would be to dismantle this system and its ideologies to create a better one in its place.