first dates: (dream) basil

You knocked at Basil's door, a wide smile on your face. It was finally time, your first date with Basil! He just told you to come to his house, nothing else. He gently opened the door after a while, a wide smile on his face. He was wearing a flowery apron.

"O-oh, YN, you're here! Come in, lunch is ready!"

When you entered the house, the fire in the fireplace burned warmly. There were two bowls on the wooden table, filled to the brim with a delicious meal. Basil pulled the chair out for you, and you sat down. He wiped his face with his sleeve before sitting down across from you.

"Basil... This looks delicious! How long did this take?" you asked, taking a small bite. It exploded with flavour.

"Ah, just this morning... but it was worth it for you..." He blushed, shoving some more into his mouth so he wouldn't say anything embarrassing.

"Well, thank you!"

It took you both a couple of minutes to loosen up, but when you did, you were both a lot more comfortable with each other's presence. You had finished your delicious lunch, and you had retired to the couch, where you snuggled underneath piles of blankets, and you were reading Basil's photo albums.

There was a photo that took your fancy. It had a simple caption beneath it: 'Omori and Kel gave up and ran off, but Aubrey and I got the hang of it really fast!' It was a photo of Basil, Aubrey, and Mari. They were all smiling widely, flower crowns on their heads. Basil was wearing a crown similar to the one he was wearing at that very minute, the only difference in the new one being the addition of sunflowers. He didn't wear sunflowers often, mostly just when something important was going on.

You both continued to flip through until you hit another page. It was the beginning of the photos in your garden... then photos of you both together. There was one where you had your arm wrapped around Basil's shoulder, and it looked like you were laughing happily. You assumed that Mari or Hero had taken it, because you could make out Omori, who was running after Aubrey, who was running from Kel, who had a water balloon in his hands, in the background.

You read the caption. 'It's a photo of YN and I! Mari took this one. They were telling me about that book they like! They look really nice in the photo... I love them. And, I have to borrow that book from them.' You blushed. You remembered... That was before his confession. So, you looked up at him, and he mumbled, red-faced.

"I-I've liked you for a while now..."

You booped his nose with your own affectionately before getting up, grabbing your bag and pulling the book out. "Well, I have the book here, if you wanna borrow it... and I've liked you for a while too." He smiled a wide smile as you sat back down next to him, opening the book and beginning to read aloud.

After a few hours, you had grown hungry, and Basil had gone quiet. He had fallen asleep beneath you, breathing softly and warmly onto your hair. He looked so calm... You didn't have the heart to wake him, so you carefully made your way to the kitchen to cook you both dinner. It was getting later, and it was the least you could do, after all.

After a couple of minutes, you woke Basil up. The sun was almost set, and he jumped a little at the sight of you cooking.

"Ah! Baz, you're awake!" you said with a grin as you chopped up some vegetable. "I started to make dinner, if that's alri-"

"YN! I-I'm supposed to be hosting you here, I'm so sorry, I'm being a terrible host!" he apologised, getting up and dashing into the kitchen.

"Hey, no need to apologise! I like cooking, actually. But, if it makes you feel any better, you can help me out."

After a while, you both were cooking happily together. But, Basil accidentally cut his finger open. Blood dripped out of the open wound, and he hissed a little under his breath, sniffling because it hurt. You immediately noticed this, and got him a band-aid and a tissue. The gash was surprisingly large, going from the tip of his finger to the knuckle.

"Be a little more careful next time, ok?"

"Alright. I-I'm sorry, I'm such a baby for crying," he chuckled sadly. You shook your head no, telling him that it's no problem. Somehow, he looked beautiful, even when he was crying.

"Is the pain going down or not?" you asked, tilting your head to the side as small, glassy tears rolled down his cheek.

"N-no, not really..."

You smiled a little and leaned in, planting your lips onto his softly, but the kiss deepened as he relaxed. It took him by surprise, but after he relaxed, he smiled a little into it. After you both parted, you could see his tears had stopped, and his face was an unnaturally bright shade of red.

"Feeling better now?" you chuckled, going back to the pot you were stirring earlier, making sure nothing had burned.

"...Uh... Y-y-yeah. Very much so- I mean- Um..." He stammered, very slowly turning to the vegetables and continuing to chop.

After that, you both happily ate dinner together, illuminated by candles and the ever-burning fireplace. And, that was when you both realised that you were both completely and utterly at peace with one another's company.

AYO I'VE RISEN FROM THE DEAD ONCE MORE!!
Sorry this took me so long, my motivation to do practically anything productive and/or romantic decided to go 'aight imma head out', so it's pretty poggers to be back!
And, d'you wanna know what else is poggers?
...
tHE FACT THAT WE HIT 10K READS ON THIS BLOODY THING RECENTLY!!! LIKE OH MY GLOW CLOUD (all hail), I NEVER EXPECTED THIS TO HAPPEN SO FAST, I STARTED THIS THIS GOSH DING DANG MONTH AND THIS HAPPENS AAH I'M SO HAPPY! THANK YOU ALL, YOU GUYS ARE SO NEAT!
I think that's it for now! Catch ya on the flip side, trash gremlins!
- Trashbag