it's just business: jawsum x reader

Story: A simple date.

~~~

You sighed a little, slumping down in your seat. You were absolutely exhausted. Being the receptionist at the Last Resort was fun, albeit tiring. Especially since you had been working non-stop since 5:45 in the morning. On the phone, all day, no time even to go to the bathroom or have a proper lunch break. You glanced at the clock. 8:57 at night. You were starving, you were tired, and you wanted more than anything to go home and have something warm to eat in an effort to combat the cool water. You slammed your head against the desk, sighing loudly. It was like you were the only person left in the place. Why couldn't you go home?

The elevator dinged as you closed your eyes. Nobody'd notice if you were having a nap, right? After a minute, somebody plodded over to you and cleared their throat. You looked up, and your eyes met tinted sunglasses. You snapped up, your face going bright with embarrassment. "O-oh, boss! I wasn't-"

"Sleeping on the job, huh?" He chuckled gruffly, rubbing his hand in your hair endearingly. "You've been working hard today, YN."

"Thank you, boss. I try to, but it can get kinda tiring. Sometimes I can't wait to get home, have some dinner and a rest." You caught yourself, and he raised an eyebrow. "I-I mean, not like... Sorry, boss."

"Don't you worry, I've been caught in a similar position before. I was on my way out too, actually. About to get dinner and close up. I just thought I'd tell my favourite receptionist they can go home, rather than locking you in here."

"Thank you, sir!" you said thankfully, admittedly relieved to be going home.

"Howzabout I buy you dinner? A thank you for the effort you put into your job."

"Oh, you really don't have to-"

"I insist."

"I don't wanna be too much trouble-"

"YN."

"Boss, I don't want to burden you. You're probably busy anyway, no need to-"

He cut you off yet again with a loud groan. He rubbed his temples as a rosy blush slowly dusted his cheeks. "Look, I'm just askin' ya on a date here. If you don't wanna go, you can just say. I won't be too hurt." You stopped a little as he took off his sunglasses and fidgeted with them. He may act all high and mighty, but it still surprised you that he seemed so nervous. Your face reddened too. He was the last person you'd think of that'd ask you out.

"I-I mean... I'm not in any rush to get home tonight, I don't have much to get back to..." you murmured. He perked up in a mix of surprise and joy.

"That's good to hear! Shall we go?"

After he had locked up the building, you both wandered down the street together. It was kind of uncomfortable for the both of you, but he gently led you into a bustling restaurant, and to a booth for you both to sit at. You looked around at everybody in the place. It seemed to be a high-class place. Unsurprising. I mean, the guy's loaded.

"I feel kinda underdressed for this," you chuckled, smoothing back your hair. "I'm a bit of a mess today."

"It doesn't matter, you look stunning anyway. Or is it too early for that?"

"...No such thing as too early for that."

After a moment of silence, you both ordered, and started up a conversation. It took a bit, but you eventually warmed up to each other, and you both felt calmer. Maybe it was the wine, maybe it was the venue, but it was feeling romantic. There was another side to your hard, sturdy boss. One that was a bit more laid-back and goofy. And, your chest fluttered as you came to know that side. You wandered out of the restaurant later that night, hand in hand and laughing hard at each other's jokes. His striped suit jacket was draped over your shoulders, and you wore it as a cape. It was utterly massive on you. When you tried to put it on, you practically disappeared inside of it. He had decided to walk you home that night, and you both were disappointed when you had reached your stop.

"This is me," you sighed, gesturing to your front door. "Thanks for a great night out, boss."

"Please, you can keep calling me Jawsum," he laughed, swinging his jacket back over his shoulder as you handed it to him. "Well, considering you enjoyed it... maybe we can do this again sometime."

"I think we can." After a couple of awkward moments of silence, you took a deep breath. "You know, I think I'm gonna do something really stupid, I'm sorry."

And, to his surprise, you leaned over and gave him a peck on the cheek. And, with a wave, you quickly retreated back into your home.

You leant against the door, heart pounding in your chest and breath heavy. Holy crap, you just did that. And, upon glancing through the small peephole in your door, you watched as he ran his fingers across where you kissed in surprise. He turned red, smiled gently, and walked away with a wave.

i'm sorry this isn't great i don't know much about jawsum
i can imagine my ancestors watching me from heaven with great disappointment as i write x reader fanfiction about an anthropomorphic shark
Thanks for 112k reads, y'all are swaggy
That's all for now! Catch ya on the flip side, trash gremlins!
- Trashbag