masquerade: real world!characters x reader (au)

Story: YN goes to their first masquerade ball, and they meet some people.
(i added some optional background ambience with this one because it's pretty long haha)
(also YN and co are older in this one, young adult age)

thanks for 200k <3

~~~

You had no idea what you were getting into. You were just... there.

The party was busy. There were tons of people in fancy dresses and suits, spinning around the floor and chattering amongst themselves. It was a rather busy environment, a little bit too busy for your liking, but you decided to put up with it none-the-less. Besides, you bought an entirely new outfit, and not to be dramatic, you thought you looked sexy as shit. A brand new (favourite colour) suit and tie/gown, with a mask in a matching colour resting on your face? More expensive than you thought. Not really knowing what to do, you made your way to the side of the room to get a drink.

After you poured yourself a glass, you decided to take a seat by the wall, watching over everybody. And, somebody took a seat next to you. Looking over, you saw a blonde boy, wearing a mix between a suit and a dress, coloured dark green. His mask was adorned with colourful flowers, and you could barely see his light blue eyes. But, it was clear he was on the verge of tears. His energy was scrambled, and he was rhythmically bouncing his foot up and down, scrolling through his phone. Worrying for him slightly, you reached into your pocket (a/n: because even if you're wearing a dress you get pockets; you deserve it) to pull out a tissue.

Pulling on his sleeve made him startle, but he looked over. Glancing to his phone, he was typing out a text asking somebody to pick him up. Handing over the tissue, you decided to ask him a question. "Hey, are you alright?"

"O-oh, yeah, I'm fine," he muttered, gently taking the tissue from your hand. As he was pulling the mask off to wipe away his tears, you saw his freckled cheeks were rosy with a mix of overwhelm and embarrassment. "Thank you."

"What's wrong? People don't normally cry when they're fine."

"Oh, it's just... people everywhere. It's busy, and noisy, a-and stressful-"

"Hey, hey," you said quietly, taking off your own mask as he started to cry harder. "Hey, I know the host. He won't mind if you go outside, if you want."

"Who even are you?"

"I'm YN. What's your name?"

"B-Basil."

"Nice to meet you, Basil. Mind if I touch you?" When he signalled he was alright with it, you took his hand gently, drawing small circles on the back with your thumb. He just stared at you. "I've heard about you from the host. He says you like gardening, right?"

"Y-yeah, that's me," he chuckled a little, flustered from the touch.

"I've the garden out there's beautiful."

You didn't look away from the dance floor as you held his hand, meaning you had no clue that, blushing softly, Basil smiled a little. Looking at you made his heart race, making him unable to peel his eyes off of you as he responded. "Yeah. Beautiful."

"Hey!" you yelled, making him gasp a little with surprise, anxious that he was almost caught staring. "How about I give you my number and if you need someone to talk to, a ride home, stuff like that, you can just call or text and we can hang out?"

"R-really?"

"Of course!"

He gave you his phone and you punched in your digits before returning it. "W-wow... Cool, I'll see you later then."