first dates: aubrey

Aubrey made her way to the front door where you were waiting. She had slipped on a leather jacket to shield herself from the cold, crisp air outside.

"Ready to go, milady?"

"...Fine, let's g-go."

You both wandered out of the house and out onto the street. The sun was setting. It would be dangerous for you both to be wandering around outside at night. But, Aubrey's mother didn't care about that. She stayed seated in front of the television, half-empty bottle in hand. You both started off quiet, walking next to each other. But, she spoke up.

"Where the hell are we even going?"

"Well..." you began, grabbing her hand and running towards the empty playground. "Wherever the night takes us, duh! Come on!"

After a while of messing around in the park, you had both loosened up a little, smiling and laughing as you drew on park benches with a marker, lighting the surface with your phone.

"What should I draw?" she chuckled, looking up at you and squinting at the bright light.

"How about our initials?"

"Sounds like a plan!"

"Then a heart..."

"Yeah..."

"And two little stick figures holding hands!"

"Yeah... Wait a minute!" She stopped as she made the realisation of what you had roped her into, her face matching her pink hair as you laughed at her. "Y-YN!!"

"Gottem!" You could hear a rustling in the bushes. "...Someone's coming, run, run, run!!"

She cursed under her breath and took your hand again as you rushed off and out of the blinding light of the torch until you made it to the main street.

"Phew... That was close," you wheezed as you both caught your breath.

"Y-yeah... But it was awesome!" Aubrey cheered, but then looked at you again and regained her composure. "I-I mean... Let's just keep going."

"So, this date is working, then?"

"Shut up."

She continued to hold your hand as you wandered down the street, looking into the empty windows of shops and quietly planning various break-ins, which you totally wouldn't follow through with, not at all. Eventually, you decided to go to the 24 hour gas station to get slushies, which you insisted on paying for. As you were sipping, you perused the aisles until you stopped suddenly, causing Aubrey to run straight into you. You caught her, embracing her in a tight hug.

"You know, if you wanted a hug, you could have just asked me."

"H-hey! Why'd you stop anyway?"

You glanced back over to the shelf of hair dye as she wriggled free from your grip. "I was thinking about dying my hair too, you know, to match yours."

"Oh. What colour were you thinking?"

"I was thinking about (favourite colour), but I dunno. Do you think it'd suit me?"

"Would it s-suit you?" she stammered, grabbing your arm. "Hell yes it'd suit you!! Why wouldn't it, you're so attract- I mean... It'd match your eyes... or something."

"Alright, (favourite colour) it is, then. Do you think you could help me out when we get back to yours? I'm not all that good at hair dying," you asked, grabbing the dye and some bleach.

"Duh, of course."

You grabbed a packet of chips and paid for you both, then you sat down on the fountain together, Aubrey bashfully placing her hand on top of yours.

"So... This was nice, I guess."

"It was," you smiled.

"And... I guess I wouldn't be opposed to... d-doing it again sometime."

"Me too." Then, she leant over and pecked your cheek quickly. You ran your fingers over it and smiled. "...Did you just kiss me?"

"W-what about it?"

"Nothing, I just thought it was cute."

"Y-yeah, whatever. Let's just get back already, your hair isn't gonna dye itself."

Yee yee Aubrey date!! Nothing much to report on this one, I just wanted to say thanks for 29k reads! We're almost at 30,000 and that blows my mind, really. All of the support you guys have been giving me makes me so happy, and it's helped me gain the confidence to talk about my fics with my friends and family more. You guys have really changed my life, so thank you! <3
That's all for now! Catch you on the flip side, trash gremlins!
- Trashbag