Snogging Filch, Obviously

Chapter Forty-Seven: Snogging Filch, Obviously

The Order of Phoenix meeting was silent. The wizards sat around the Grimmauld place kitchen table, silently sipping their tea or chewing on their food. Nymphadora Tonks nervously tapped her foot, unable to stay quiet. The Black household was quiet after the Hogwarts students had left for their second semester. Loren Bruce had returned back home, with even more protection placed on her home and store. Remains of Christmas decorations could be found throughout the townhouse. In the kitchen where the group of wizards gathered, a Santa figurine sat in the center, surrounded by a pile of fake snow and paper snowflakes. Kingsley Shacklebolt stared, unfocused, at the Santa—his mind wandering. Minerva McGonagall's long, thin finger tapped the side of the table. The Transfiguration Professor was on edge being away from Hogwarts in fear of Dolores Umbridge drawing suspicion at both her and Dumbledore's absence. Remus Lupin fidgeted with the foil that use to contain chocolate which resided in his old jacket pocket.

Albus Dumbledore sat at the head of the table, his half-moon glasses much lower than where they usually rested. The Headmaster had just dropped news of his fear of Voldemort being able to read Harry Potter's mind. While Occlumency lessons with Professor Snape were beginning that semester, it would take a long time before Harry would be able to ward off the Dark Lord. If at any moment Harry confirmed Voldemort's suspicion about Jamie Devereaux Bruce's lineage, the little blonde witch would be in danger. Little did any of these wizards know, but Voldemort needed no confirmation. The mere possibility of Jamie being half male-Veela made her in almost as much danger as Harry. Minerva cleared her throat, "Would You-Know-Who try and use her with the imperious curse?"

Kingsley's eyes snapped to the Transfiguration teacher, his eyes no longer glazed over, "How effective would that be, if Jamie doesn't even know how to use them the way she did at the Tournament?"

"Correct. Jamie does not know what her powers truly entail. We know she can persuade people to reveal the truth, no one can lie to her, and she can control people's emotions to the point of them agreeing with her or doing what she want." Dumbledore's wrinkled hand pushed his glasses up further on his crooked nose, "However, during the Tournament she controlled everyone's emotions at once and made their ears vibrate and hurt. We aren't sure if that's always the case or it was the certain emotion she was feeling. The ones who would most know are Veela and Centaurs."

"Centaurs?" Tonks asked.

Dumbledore nodded, "They predicted Jamie's birth hundreds of years ago. Their records of history are unparalleled."

"So if we don't know, Voldemort doesn't know, and Jamie doesn't know, then what would Voldemort want with her?" Kingsley asked. Molly Weasley gave him and apprehensive look for using the Dark Lord's name.

Mundungus Fletcher shifted in his seat, "It's obvious, innet? He'd kill her. She's not a risk to him if she's dead."

Minerva McGonagall's eyebrows narrowed, "Then what's the plan, Albus. Jamie is graduating in a few months what are we going to do to protect her?" The Headmaster's face remained stoic. It was clear to everyone in the room that protecting Jamie Devereaux Bruce would be a difficult obstacle to conquer.

--

Not many students at Hogwarts chose to remain in Care of Magical Creatures after their fifth year in Hogwarts. Jamie Devereaux Bruce, however, loved the class. It was also important for her to learn more about creatures in the wizarding world, considering she was labeled as one. The edge of the Dark Forest was almost completely covered in trees. Snow continued to cover the ground from a long winter, but the student's shoe imprints revealed patches of mud and pressed grass. The seventh-years huddled close to one another, listening to Hagrid speak. Most of them couldn't help but stare at the old yellow bruise on their teacher's cheekbone. It had been there since Hagrid had returned last semester. Dolores Umbridge continued to be after Hagrid's job since his return.