She Has a Wand Arm?

Chapter One: She Has a Wand Arm?

Jamie and Loren sat together on their comfortable couch as the woman who had introduced herself as Professor McGonagall stood across from them, awaiting their reaction. Minerva McGonagall had told many muggleborn witches and wizards about Hogwarts. At this point in her long life, she had unintentionally memorized what she needed to say before she had even stepped over the threshold of this quaint and loving muggle house.

Minerva watched the young girl digest the information. She had straight posture and a calm outward appearance, as did her mother. They both appeared like they had been told it might rain this afternoon and bringing a jacket would be in their best interest. However, internally, Jamie's head was reeling with excitement and vindication. She knew she had not imagined that time her teddy bear had mended itself after Jamie had accidentally ripped it. She also knew there was no way, every time she got angry, it was just in her head how her face would briefly transform.

Loren was the kind of woman who often laughed in uncomfortable situations. The only thing that entered her mind when she had been told that her daughter is a witch was a childhood cartoon about a teenage witched named Sabrina. Loren desperately wanted to ask Professor McGonagall if Jamie would get a cat as well, but she figured this stern woman would not find it as amusing as she did.

Jamie heard her mother's stifled giggle beside her and couldn't help but giggle as well. It was all so ridiculous.

Minerva watched the two once stoic Bruce women dissolve into laughter which transformed their faces. The matching dimpled smiles that stared up at Minerva expectantly, caused a twitch in the corner of her mouth to appear. "I can prove to you that magic does in fact exist." The professor claimed, drawing out her wand. Jamie and Loren broke into more laughter at the sight of a wand of all things.

Jamie then said something that surprised Minerva, "Oh no, we believe you."

Loren turned to her daughter, laughing somehow even harder, "You're a witch! I am not an overworked single mother!"

"You're still overworked, but I get a wand!"

Loren stood up and grabbed her daughter in a warm hug. She then paused and her laughter died quickly, "We are far too trusting, aren't we." Loren turned to the woman in the strange green cloak, "Please show us something magical."

Normally, Minerva McGonagall would make flowers appear out of thin air or break something only to mend it in seconds. Instead, she thought of doing something that the Bruce women would find the most appealing. In an instant, where the stern woman once stood, was a speckled cat.

Loren absolutely lost it in that moment, laughing in glee. Jamie stared amazed at the cat and went to pet it, but Professor McGonagall reappeared just as quickly and stated, "I prefer not to be touched, thank you."

Minerva McGonagall left the muggle house with a small smile on her face. Jamie Devereaux, while quiet in first passing, was a lively and bright young girl who would surely do great things in Hogwarts. There was something, however, about her appearance that struck Minerva as odd. She would be speaking to Dumbledore about the girl once she got back to Hogwarts. However, with a small baggie filled with biscuits made by Loren Bruce clutched in the older witches hand, she was happily anticipating the next time she saw the Bruce women to take them to Diagon Ally.

***

"Yes, yes it is all very fascinating, dear, but you must walk faster." Minerva lightly scolded Jamie as she stood in the middle of Diagon Ally staring in shock at the people in fancy cloaks and hats of which she had never seen before. She never thought she would feel out of place in jeans. Shaking her head she stared up at the tall, thin professor and smiled apologetically before walking to the side of the street and standing in front of an odd looking shop. The very structure of the building seemed wavy and unstable. Yet, when Jamie tested it by pressing on the outside of the frame, it was sturdy. She heard an exasperated sigh which she was already becoming familiar with, "Your mother left us to exchange muggle currency nearly half an hour ago. Where on earth is she?"