Get In Line, Toad Face

Chapter Fifty-Two: Get In Line, Toad Face

Jamie Devereaux Bruce, with her silver blonde hair static and disheveled around her, winced at the look of anguish and panic on Kingsley Shacklebolt, usually stoic, face. The aurora was pacing in the long hallway of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. His strides made a tapping noise that was uneven and only added to the edge that Jamie was on. Kingsley's mind was racing - moving faster than he thought possible - before he finally stopped in front of the small witch. He abruptly grabbed Jamie's small shoulders, forcing her to look at him.

"Jamie, you're going to do exactly as I tell you. Do you understand?" Jamie nodded. "You are going to attack me, and the run to McGonagall's office and flu to Grimmauld Place." Kingsley said.

Jamie began to protest, "what-" "Do it now or the Order loses me on the inside of the Ministry and you end up in Azkaban. This isn't a game. This is your freedom we are talking about. Stun me."

There was a loud uproar of a noise coming from Dumbledore's office. Voices growing Jamie's heart rate increased. Her eyes went from the stone door to Kingsley and back to the door. Her wad grew hot in her robe, urging her on. Kingsley began to speak again, but a rush of blood pounded in the blonde's ears till she could hear nothing. In sow motion, she pulled her wand out and pointed it, shaking, at the auror. He nodded.

"Stupify!" Jamie called, knocking Kingsley back into the wall, crashing against a beautifully sculpted arch before falling onto the ground. The door crashed open, Ministry officials rushing our of the head master's office looking directly at Jamie Devereaux. A sinister grin of victory crept onto Umbridge's face. Their wands were drawn. Jamie turned on her heels, her wand gripped tightly in her hand.

"Get her!" Umbridge's squeaky voice called out.

The short legs that usually didn't get her far worked in double time as Jamie sprinted in the direction of McGonagall's office. She ran through the halls, taking sharp corners like she was part rabbit. Sparks and spells were flying at her retreating form but she was a very fast and small target. Jamie turned into a courtyard, where a few people were muddling about. 

Jamie ran through, around a fountain that was off, before turning around and facing the four Ministry officials. 

Umbridge addressed the other people in the courtyard, "By the order of the Ministry, bring Miss Bruce to us. Immediately."

Jamie held her breath, but no one moved. The half-Veela made eye contact with Romilda Vane, a girl a few years younger than her. She was holding a Potions book close to her chest. Between Romilda and Jamie was the smaller Ministry witch. "Accio!" Jamie summoned the Potions book to her, smacking the ministry official so hard against the back of the head she hit the ground in an unconscious heap.

The blonde witch caught the book and ran on the outskirts of the courtyard so she was still looking in, with her body half hidden by a large column. "Miss Bruce, you are directly disobeying the Ministry. The more you resist the likelihood of your time served being longer. Just come with us and we will be able to discuss your future as a registered half-breed." Cornelius tried to persuade her.

"Tempting! But that's gonna be a hard pass." Jamie said with a smile.

Umbridge was yelling at the students in the courtyard, accusing them of aiding and bedding a fugitive. 

Jamie ducked around the column she was cowering behind, shooting a spell at the dormant fountain, causing it to erupt and blast Umbridge and the fourth official across the courtyard and into a pile of fresh mud on the ground. Jamie beamed, calling out to the pink witch, "Brown is a good color on you, Umbitch!"