I am a Bee.

The month of March came and went, and when April hit all the fifth-year students could think of were their impending OWLs. Cedric Diggory had been studying all year, but was still convinced he was going to study all the wrong things when it came down to it. It is this fear that led the Hufflepuff boy to read books that were not required for fifth-years in all of his subjects. He had read multiple charm books that far extended what he was expected to know, as well as Transfigurations and Potions.

Jamie Devereaux sat with her best friend in the library as the two of them read over books. She watched as Cedric stood and began to scout the library for more extended reading he could do, this time in Care of Magical Creatures. "I love Hagrid," Cedric had said, "But I am just worried that he hasn't covered everything that we are going to need for our exams. I mean there has to be some basic creatures that he has failed to talk to us about simply because they are non-deadly and thus boring in his eyes."

Jamie had to admit, he did have a point. "I don't know, since the Hippogriffs I feel like he has really stuck to the original intentions of the class." The blonde witch stated, a little defensive of Hagrid. Cedric merely gave her a look and disappeared behind the stacks of books.

He emerged a few minutes later with a silver and blue book in his hand, "This is by Newt Scamander—the wizard who wrote Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them."

"That's good, maybe it will be on the exam then." Jamie said, not looking up from her Transfigurations text book. Cedric sat back down in his chair and studied the cover.

"Remember in first year when there was that rumor going around that you were part Veela?" Cedric asked, conversationally.

Jamie looked up, confused, "Well, yeah, we spent hours in the library trying to see if Devereaux could have been Veela. But we both know it's a matriarchal gene so even if his mother was a Veela it wouldn't show up in me. Why?"

Cedric just turned over the cover of the book so Jamie could read it: The Vanishing of Veela Men. "Ooo, sounds ominous. And extinct." The blonde witch said. Cedric Diggory merely shrugged, thinking it couldn't hurt to look at.

Newt Scamander's book was detailed, well-researched. The tale of Veela men started like this:

The Veela use to reside under a patriarchal society. Male Veelas were intelligent, conniving, and angry. They often fought one another to the brink of death, feeling threatened and unimportant in the presence of another Male. The males acted this way due to the beauty of female Veelas. Jealousy, anger, and inability to handle their emotions lead to the entire population of Veelas to almost become extinct.

For the safety of the species, they altered their structure as males became more and more extinct. Since they imposed so much danger, over time the majority began to weaken and diminish into a species more similar to a male bee. They were able to mate with the female and then, once they served their purpose, they would die. However, every few decades—whenever there is a new queen—a male Veela is born similar to that of the past male Veelas. Typically, he is outcasted at birth due to the fear that he will try and destroy the matriarchal society that has taken centuries of evolution to develop.

Mr. Scamander then went on to talk about how he had had the unique opportunity to meet the male Veela of his generation that had survived, despite being left to his own devices at a very young age.

His name was Simeon. The abilities Simeon had were unlike any creature I had ever seen before. While he looked like a witch or wizard that had Veela blood in them, his emotions were close to the surface. I made the mistake of asking why he had left the Veela community. His face had sharpened his nose transformed and his teeth were pointy, much like when Veela women get angry. Simeon could also persuade me to tell him things. He did it once to show his abilities to me and I found myself telling him my deepest, darkest secret. It was unnerving, not unlike the imperious curse.