NO!

Chapter Thirty-Three: NO!

The library of Hogwarts was particularly empty that afternoon in late June. Students were done with their end of term exams and it was sunny and warm—which encouraged most people to sit by the black lake and watch the giant squid move out of the water slowly. Luna Lovegood, a very blonde and very odd Ravenclaw third year, was sitting closer than anyone to the squid. Students watched on as Looney Lovegood talked cheerily to the squid, laughing at her expense. That was, until Ginevra Weasley shot them a glare that would have made her mother proud and joined the Ravenclaw girl. Neither Ginny or Luna knew that another young witch was watching the exchange from the window of the library.

Jamie Devereaux Bruce sat by the glass, altering her attention between Cedric Diggory—who continued to work on his shield charms—and the Hogwarts students that existed below. The silver-haired witch liked to people-watch. It reminded her of her mother, Loren Bruce who would often watch strangers on the streets outside her store. However, like most things involving Loren, it was always an interesting experience. When Jamie and Loren watched people, the muggle woman would create dialogue. An old couple would be ranting about their grandson with blue hair and a piercing, a young couple would be arguing about who loved the other more, or a business man would be talking on the phone trying to buy illegal dogs from the mafia. Jamie's eyes were drawn to the two Weasley twins who were talking to Lee Jordan under a big tree. Even from this distance, Jamie could tell which one was Fred Weasley. She hadn't forgotten what Jamie Jabs had revealed to her. Fred was in love with her, which meant, technically, all of her original fears about wanting to wait to date him were irrelevant. It meant that she couldn't control him with her emotions and he would be able to lie to her if he wanted to. The six months she had asked him to wait were almost up, and every time Jamie was near him she was tempted to tell him she knew about his feelings for her. But something was holding her back. The witch wasn't sure what it was, but at the moment Jamie's entire life seemed to be holding by a thin string. Moments of happiness would be diluted by the brief seconds she would be left to her own mind and where it would wander to. Like: What war was going to happen? When would it begin? Why did she get a distinct feeling she was being watched all the time? It didn't help that she was never alone. Being around people merely allowed Jamie to quickly pull out of her own fears and focus back on the people around her.

Jamie Devereaux tore her eyes from Fred and shook her head a bit as she looked at Cedric, who was mumbling words that he read aloud from a book. Jamie walked so that she could lean over his hunched shoulders to see what he was reading. The word Patronus jumped out at her. "I kept hoping Moody would teach us about those." The blonde said, startling the Hufflepuff boy.

"Jesus, Jamie, wear a bell or something." Cedric grumbled.

"I was literally right there."

Cedric glared at her, "You practically float instead of walk, at least give a warning cough or something." He cleared his throat and adjusted his book in his hand, "I know they only warn against Dementors, but what if the maze has dementors. I mean, the ministry has been awfully involved in the games. It makes sense that they would bring in some Azkaban guards for this."

Jamie continued to study the page, "They're complex spells though. Do you have a happiest memory that you can bottle up and focus on? I wonder if you could create a corporal Patronus in such a short period of time. I bet yours is something particularly Hufflepuff-y." Jamie giggled, "Like a bunny or a cute, tender mouse."

"Stop emasculating me." He mumbled.

"Stop having such fragile masculinity."