Prepare for War, Devereaux

Remus Lupin was trying his hardest not to laugh at the scene before him. He was a professor, not a student anymore. He had to remember that maiming—either magic or muggle—was not allowed in the hall ways of Hogwarts. He asked the tall, limping red-headed boy and the short blonde, who was holding her head up high and had crossed arms, to come into his office. When they sat he noticed the boy kept shooting pleased glances at the girl while she huffed in her chair.

Nostalgia hit Professor Lupin. The two of them reminded him so much of another pair of Hogwarts students.

"Why," Remus began, sitting across from them at his desk, "did you feel the urge to, for lack of a better word, punt Mr. Weasley's shin, Miss Bruce?"

The blonde witch opened her mouth to defend herself when she was interrupted, "That would be my fault, Professor." Fred Weasley said, shocking Jamie. Never in the forty-four detentions they had had together had Fred ever tried to take the blame.

"So I am to believe that you...made Miss Bruce kick you?" Remus asked, disbelievingly.

"Not exactly, but she has been begging me to go out with her for years, you see, and I think this last rejection finally did Jamie in." Fred laughed at the indignant gasp that came from the right of him.

Now Lupin truly was holding his breath to stop himself from smiling. It was clear that Miss Jamie Devereaux Bruce had never once asked Fred Weasley out. Jamie met her Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor's eyes, "Professor, that is not at all what happened. He-"

But Remus Lupin held up a calm hand and looked between the two fifth years, "I'm afraid I'm going to have to give the two of you detention this Friday evening with me. Violence is not tolerated in the halls." He couldn't help but notice the light gleam that emerged in the red-head's eyes at this news.

Jamie's lips tightened at this news. She nodded to the professor and followed Fred out of Lupin's office. He held the door open for her and she glared at him. When the door had shut she exploded, "Forty-Five, Weasley. Forty-Five!"

"Hang on, you kicked me—"

Jamie punched him hard in the chest interrupting him, "I'll do it again, Fredward."

"Who told you my given name?"

The blonde witch threw her hands up in the air and groaned, "Stay away from me, stay away from my boyfriend."

The smile that had been on Fred's lips since Jamie had kicked him finally fell, "Wow, the b-word. So serious. Do you l-word your b-word, Devereaux?" His throat began to constrict at the thought of that.

She stared the red-head down, "A couple of boils is going to look like child's-play when I am done with you."

"Dirty!"

Jamie kicked him hard again and stormed off, leaving a bruised and laughing Fred Weasley in her wake.

--

Jamie Devereaux visited Kenneth in the Hospital Wing once a day as he recovered. She felt personally responsible for what had happened to him. She had no idea Fred and her war was apparently allowed to expand to other people. Jamie had no intention of going after George for vengeance. No, in fact, Jamie had a plan. It was a plan that she was working on while sitting in the visitor's chair in the Hospital Wing next to Kenneth. She had a long piece of parchment and a muggle ball-point pen in her hand. The blonde muggleborn had never been a fan of quills and chose to avoid them whenever possible.