What Yeer?

A young muggle girl with long brown hair and a very upturned nose sat on a bench at Kings Cross Station, waiting for her train. Her eyes were immediately drawn to a tall handsome boy of about sixteen years old. He was pushing a trolley and had an owl of all things on top of his trunk. The girl straightened up and attempted to draw his attention by flipping her hair over one delicate shoulder. Her attempts were thwarted almost immediately when she caught sight of a stunning short girl with long blonde hair that fanned around her. The two hit one another with a crashing hug and the muggle girl deflated, upset. Little known to her, a tall red head standing ten feet behind her had almost the same reaction when he saw the two embrace.

Loren Bruce beamed up at the young wizard Cedric Diggory who had become her daughters best friend at Hogwarts. He was a handsome, goofy young lad that seemed to love her daughter in the kind of pure way that only a brother could love a sister. When Jamie broke apart from Cedric's greeting, she went to stand next to her mother who wrapped a loving arm around her fifteen year old's shoulders. "My aging daughter, so old, withering away. Nearly an adult who never messages her mother." Loren sighed stroking her daughter's hair.

Jamie rolled her eyes at her dramatic mother, "I missed one week of messaging you because I was about to be back home."

Loren made eye contact with Cedric, "She hates me, you know."

Cedric laughed loudly at the antics of Loren Bruce. Despite having known the woman since Christmas of his first year—where she greeted Jamie with a large banner and giant muggle balloons that thoroughly embarrassed her daughter—Loren never ceased to amuse the Hufflepuff. After watching the teary goodbye between mother and daughter the two set off and onto the Hogwarts Express for their fifth year at Hogwarts. As was tradition, on the first train ride of the year Cedric and Jamie got a compartment to themselves and spoke to no one but each other, reiterating every moment of their lives that they had been absent for. Both he and Jamie had been elected Prefects, however, so their conversations occurred through the hall of the train as they paroled it after their prefect meeting. The other Gryffindor prefect, Kenneth Towler, was a broad shouldered dark haired boy with dark skin and a radiant smile. He kept trying to bring Jamie's attention to him throughout the meeting. The blonde witch was perfectly oblivious to this and was much more interested in passing magical notes to Cedric with animated drawings of Percy Weasley—now head boy instead of lowly prefect—making googly eyes at his girlfriend Penelope.

When the train arrived at the large, glamorous castle that had winged bores at the tips of each tower, every student's heart leapt with joy. While none of them could have told you exactly where in Scotland Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry resided, they all would have stated that it was their home away from home. The first years, in plain robes having yet to be sorted, set off on boats across the river. Second years through seventh years sat in magical carriages that seemed to be pulling themselves.

Albus Dumbledore watched as the students of Hogwarts filed in, awaiting the sorting to commence. When all was said and sorted and the hat had finally sung, the headmaster introduced Remus Lupin and Rubeus Hagrid as new teachers this term. He was not surprised to see a particular uproar in excitement from the Gryffindor table. He watched Harry Potter beaming at his friend up at the head table. His eyes flickered from the boy with the scar to the fascinating blonde at the same table. Appointing her prefect was not something that took any time to deliberate. Everyone knew Jamie was hardworking and intelligent. She also was unwittingly the reason most boys tried to stay out of trouble, in order to impress her. Detentions aside, the slivery blonde was organized, responsible, and only had one obvious weakness. Despite the badge gleaming on her robe proudly, Dumbledore witnessed her chuck a roll of bread directly in the face of Fred Weasley. He chuckled at the sight and Minerva groaned next to him, "That girl." She said with a heavy voice. Though the old wizard was no fool and detected clear adoration from the Transfiguration Professor.