You Lacking a Sense of Humor Is Not My Problem

At Kings Cross Station on the 1st of September there was a dark woman walking next to a very blonde child as they looked around the train station with determination. The instructions they had been given by a certain stern professor were written down and clutched in the young girls hand. In her other hand she held a very small and very black kitten. The people on Kings Cross station stared at the duo, following their path with their eyes.

"Mum, look!" Jamie said, pointing at the platforms nine and ten. "Professor McGonagall said that it would be ¾ of the way between them." She paused and did a small three-sixty turn as she observed the station, "But I don't know which wall to walk through."

As if answering her silent plea, Jamie saw a father and a young boy run through the wall just between the two platforms right in front of them. Jamie looked up at her mother and saw that Loren had not noticed, or possibly had not seen, what had happened right before her very eyes. A feeling of dread overwhelmed Jamie as she realized that, because she had discovered the entry way to the platform, this was where she had to leave her muggle mother. Placing Salem in his cage Jamie squeezed her mother's waist tight. The two Bruce's stood there in a warm embrace, devastated to part with one another. Despite being mother and daughter, they were best friends and had never spent more than a few hours apart. "I'll write to you every day." Jamie promised.

Loren scoffed, "You better not, I want you making friends and memories. And to study hard so that our TV can finally live up to its potential and become an elephant." Jamie giggled but it was heavy with emotion. Loren held her daughter's shoulders and made eye contact with her beautiful girl, "Now you listen, you are going to be the best damn witch Hogwarts has ever seen. Write me at least once a week if you ever want me to love you again." Loren pulled her purse off of her shoulder and put it around her daughter, "In there are gallons or whatever the currency is along with some brownies so that you can make friends on the train. There is also pens and a lot of paper so you are forced to write me, and a present for Professor McGonagall to thank her for putting up with us." The pair said more goodbyes and Loren watched her daughter quite literally disappear before her very eyes and through a wall.

Jamie crossed the barrier and saw a giant red train in front of her, along with several other families gathered along the platform and pulling trunks into the train. She carted her trolley across the platform before reaching the train and looking around.

Amos Diggory caught sight of the pretty young witch standing confused and fearful by the train. Immediately he approached the girl, intending to help her with whatever he could. "Hello there!" He called joyfully.

Jamie's head snapped up in surprise at the large, balding man who approached her. He had a wide stomach and an even wider grin. Behind him a boy her age, though much taller than Jamie, stared at her. "Hello, sir! Could you—" But the man interrupted her almost immediately.

"Help you with your trunk, well of course!" He leaned down and easily moved her trunk onto the train, all while still speaking, "This is my son, Cedric. I am Amos Diggory, we come from a long line of Hufflepuff witches and wizards. Cedric will also be a Hufflepuff, of course. He's very bright you know and much taller than most boys your age. You're a first year too, I assume." Jamie made to answer but the chatty man continued to brag about his son. The young blonde witch looked toward Cedric and saw him blushing furiously in embarrassment, "I am sorry for this." He mumbled through the corner of his mouth, "He just gets a little...over excited."

Jamie giggled at that understatement, "I am Jamie Devereaux." She introduced herself. Jamie, while having the last name Bruce, always introduced herself by both her first and middle name. It was not something conscious that she did, but rather how her mother introduced her to most people. "I go by Jamie."