Lying Clay-Brained Harpy

Chapter Thirty-Two: Lying Clay-Brained Harpy

Cedric Diggory sat atop a desk, his long legs swinging back and forth as he watched Jamie Devereaux Bruce pour over yet another Defense Against the Dark Arts book. There was a large stack of old books on the desk Cedric perched on. Some were from the restricted section, some were third year charms that he wouldn't think to use but could be necessary while in the third task. It had only been a day since he and the other three champions had been told about the maze. However, because Jamie would be busy with finals in the upcoming weeks, as well as her Birthday, Jamie was taking advantage of her free time to help out the Hufflepuff boy as much as she possibly could.

The maze that Ludo Bagman had revealed to be the third task seemed ominous and close to impossible for a seventeen-year-old to get through. Jamie had reassured Cedric many times that he needed just three or four spells that he could use for anything and became second nature when he was in fear. After finding a shield charm in the DADA text book, the little blonde witch began pressuring Cedric to practice it as much as possible, "If you get good enough at it, it can protect you against basically anything. Monsters are immediately going to be aggressors, so your only chance is to be really good at defending yourself." She tapped the long, white wand on her cheek in thought, "I bet at least one of Hagrid's blast-ended skrewts in there. But I don't know what other types of creatures he would have rounded up."

"You're not going to appear out of a bush?" Cedric joked, earning a glare from the Gryffindor.

"Hardy, Har. Be thankful I wasn't asked to, no shield charm could stop me from making you spill your guts."

"Do we know that for sure?" Cedric mused, reading over all the types of dangers a shield charm could prevent.

"Let's be honest we know nothing for sure." Jamie stated, hoisting herself up on the desk across from Cedric, "If I found out tomorrow that I can grow a tail at will I wouldn't even be surprised. I would just accept it, learn how to use that tail to the best of my ability, and cut holes in all my pants."

Cedric snorted, "That would be a sight to see. But what if you have a stinger that would be much more useful. And would get you a invite into the maze with all the other dangerous monsters."

Jamie chucked a book at him, which he leaned out of the way to dodge, "Prat."

The Hufflepuff boy jumped to his feet and stretched his arm out, "Help me practice the bloody shield charm, I'm meeting Cho later."

"I'm meeting Cho later." Jamie mocked in a deep voice, rolling her eyes. She walked to the other end of the room, "Ready?"

"Hit me with your best shot." Cedric said.

Jamie giggled to herself, "Fire away." The muggleborn hummed under her breath before sending a disarming charm toward the boy. Cedric Diggory made a sweeping motion over the front of his face, summoning a shield charm. It wasn't completely effective, knocking the Hufflepuff back a few steps from the impact of Jamie's spell. "Weak!" Jamie taunted. They went on like that for about half an hour until Cedric had successfully blocked ten spells in a row with perfect Shield Charms. Jamie beamed at him as the exited the empty class room together.

"So next time we practice we work on at least one other protection charm. You're also going to need a spell to navigate the maze. I doubt they would let you bring my compass with you." Jamie mused as they walked past students that were bustling through the hallway. Several students waved hi to Jamie and nodded toward Cedric.