Oh My God, Disgusting

Chapter Twenty-Seven: Oh My God, Disgusting

Rubeus Hagrid did not often have visitors to his small cabin on the outskirts of the forbidden forest. When he did, he typically prepared. That was why he was shocked to hear a small, quick rasp on his door that cold late afternoon. After being surprised by the noise, there were many people the half-giant had prepared himself, mentally, to see when he opened the door. None of them was Jamie Devereaux Bruce.

The little blonde witch was shivering in her robes as she looked up at the Care of Magical Creatures professor expectantly. Hagrid had been avoiding answering the door to anyone who came to visit since the article exposing his lineage had come out. However, the last thing he was expecting was a student. Well, at least a visible student.

Jamie looked up at the large man who's hair was unkempt and eyes puffy from tears and her heart reached out to him. She had never been too close to the newly appointed Professor, but she had always enjoyed his lessons. The ones she wasn't getting eaten by nifflers during. After being told about just how cruel wizards could be toward half-breeds, the half-veela had been able to think of nothing else. Instead of going to Professor McGonagall or speaking to Cedric, the first think Jamie had wanted to do was confine in Hagrid. She thought, surely, he would like to speak to someone that was learning about accepting herself the way he must have been struggling to do all his life.

"Jamie, what are you doing out? It's almost past curfew." Hagrid said. His voice was raspy and filled with concern.

"Can I speak to you?" Jamie asked, politely. There was a large gust of wind that came over her in that moment, causing her to shake where she stood. Hagrid stepped aside so that the little witch could walk passed him and into his hut. It smelled of a strange kind of nature smell. Like a woodsy scent along with over-brewed tea. It was warm and every piece of furniture dwarfed the blonde even more than usual. Hagrid offered her a cup of tea and she sat in silence, her feet dangling off the edge of a chair and coming no where near the ground. Only when Rubeus handed her a very large mug, which she had to hold with both her cold hands, did she speak again, "I read the article about you." She said in a faint voice.

Hagrid sniffed quite loudly at that, "Did ya." It wasn't a question. The Care of Magical Creatures professor has already accepted the fact that everyone at Hogwarts would have already read and made their assumptions about him as a half-breed. Jamie took a loud slurp of her tea, which was almost comical in how silent the warm room was. All that could be heard were faint animal noises from the forest outside and the crack of the fire every now and again.

"I was wondering," Jamie started, "I was wondering if Professor Dumbledore had told you about me?"

His large, bushy head tilted to the side as he studied her, confused, "Told me about what?"

Jamie had only outright told Cedric about her father. But she desperately wanted to speak to Hagrid about being a half-breed and what it meant in the wizarding world. For her, and for the people in her life. Just as people who sympathized with muggle-borns were called 'blood-traitors' she wondered if there was an even worse term for people who sympathized with creatures like her. The only other half-anything she had met was in this room with her, and she wanted to take advantage of that. "My father was a male Veela. I'm a half-breed as well." The words were suspended in air. She had never said it so matter-of-factly. That was her, it was a part of her. And Jamie Devereaux Bruce was terrified.

Hagrid blinked in surprise, "A male Veela? Blimey, what does that mean for you? I thought you were muggle-born."

"I am. My mum is a muggle. I am not exactly sure what that means for me, but I do know I am the first in record." Jamie took another sip, waiting for what the large man would respond with. He seemed to be thinking, and taking his time with it.