Good Luck With That, Blondie

Chapter Twenty-Six: Good Luck With That, Blondie

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry was filled with noise and excitement the night of December 25th. It was a holiday, it was the yule ball, and every student looked incredible in their dress-robes—regardless of what century said robes were from. That night seemed to be brimming with endless possibilities. Most shocking of all these possibilities, was a kiss between two Gryffindor sixth-years. Fred Weasley had fulfilled his greatest fantasy, and had it taken away, all in the span of a few minutes.

The tall, red-headed boy was still braced against a the wall of the castle, with his other hand twisted in silver locks that belonged to Jamie Devereaux Bruce. Jamie's eyes were wide and apologetic. Fred looked down at her, his heart panging. Yet, if anyone knew Fred well, they would not be surprised by his reaction to her statement. "Sorry, Jamison, I think I must have accidentally snogged your brains out. You meant to say 'oh, Freddie, I would love too, you're so handsome.' And then you throw yourself into my arms." He looked at her expectantly, but inside his heart was racing with doubt and anxiety. "Now it's your turn." Fred prompted.

Jamie's slim fingers went up to hold his face. His cheeks felt a little rough under her palm and his eyelashes were much longer than she thought they were. The blonde's lips were tingling and her cheeks were warm from their encounter. She knew it would be played in her head on repeat for the next week. Maybe month. "I can't date you right now. But I want to." She rushed out when he started to pull away from her. Jamie brought his head down to they were leveled, "I want to I just can't yet."

"Why not right now?" Fred asked.

Jamie exhaled and looked away from him, "I...I can't tell you."

Fred's heard leapt into his throat, "Are you dying?" "No!" Jamie responded, quickly, but Fred pressed on, "Because if you are dying I would think you would want to spend your last days with a hot piece like me."

Jamie blinked, confused at his joke. "I'm not dying."

"But if you were you'd spend it with me." Fred stated, moving his hands to her waist and squeezing lightly. His head lowered again and his nose grazed her cheek.

"I'd spend it with my mother." Jamie retorted.

Fred moved Jamie's hair so it was behind her shoulder, "That's a weird pet name for me."

Jamie heard a laugh escape from her and she felt Fred smile against her neck, "Fredward, I just told you I can't date you."

"And I chose to ignore you." Fred responded, kissing her neck and making Jamie dizzy and want to ignore what she had said as well. After a second she pulled away completely, Her hands pressed against his shoulders so that he would be forced to stop something she really didn't want him to stop. Jamie thought, with a lot of certainty, that she would be quite happy to stay in that position with Fred Weasley for hours.

Fred pushed his lower lip into a pout at being pulled away from her and Jamie rolled her eyes at his antics. "We can't date right now and I can't tell you exactly why because it's personal and something I need to figure out. It wouldn't be fair for me to bring you into it by dating you right now."

"Counter-offer," Fred said, "You tell me, I help you work through it while we date." Jamie raised her eyebrow in response and his smile fell slightly. The red-head ran one large hand through his hair and looked down at his Jamie Devereaux, "When will you be ready?"

Jamie's eyes widened. She didn't know, but she also didn't want to give him nothing. Jamie wanted to be with him. If she dedicated more time to controlling her emotions and read the Tale of Devereaux and figured out how it related to her, then maybe she could be with him. And then, once he fell in love with her, she wouldn't be so worried about using her emotions against him. "End of next term?" She asked.